Monday, April 19, 2010
13 Things I Love About Israel
In honor of Yom Ha'atzma'ut, Israel's Independence Day, here is one of my favorite posts, a list of 13 things I love about Israel...
(13 of the 13 bazillion...)
1. Felafel with cheeps and charif and pickles. Mmmmmm....
2. Walking on Ben Yehuda on Motzei Shabbat.
3. Watching kids play in parks that are full of ancient artifacts.
4. The whale sculpture in Old Jaffa.
5. Seeing Israeli kids riding the busses, hanging out, running around, just being kids and speaking Hebrew!
6. Spotting the blue paint in Tsfat.
7. Bumper stickers!!!!
8. The grottos of Rosh Hanikra, especially when the water levels are really high....
9. Watching the faces of first-timers when they really do float in the Dead Sea.
10. Reading Rachel's poems at her graveside.
11. Knowing that the young men and women carrying those big guns are Jewish kids ready to defend their homes and families.
12. Feeling Shabbat as it comes into Jerusalem...the frenzy of activity followed by the lovely calm. (And the shuk - rugelach and tomatoes and hummus and pita and spices and oranges and.....)
13. Feeling like I'm coming home.
Here's the post I wrote about my brother's aliyah - it's his first Yom Ha'atzma'ut as an Israeli!
Happy birthday, Israel! May each day bring more blessing to your land and people.