Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Let the Little Light Shine

I'm going to Blog Elul over at my other blog on a regular basis, so make sure to check that out too!

Each day, the Jewels of Elul offer inspiration and words of wisdom during the month of Elul, the month that precedes Rosh HaShanah.

There's also going to be a daily question, and you can go over to the Jewels page to post your answer.

Today's question is:

If you could identify one light that changed your world this year, what or who would it be?

It sounds totally cheesy, but my new little guy has been quite a light. Quite by accident, I started posting a daily picture of him on Facebook. (Today is Day 263.) It's been really remarkable to take a picture each day and see how much he has grown.

From Day 1:


to Day 260, just a few days ago...

Watching him grow and change has been quite a light. The daily picture has been its own light. Feeling compelled (by social pressure - Solly has fans!) to put that picture up has been such an interesting feeling. To know that each day I need to find a few moments to snap a picture (which has gotten harder and harder as he has gotten faster!), in addition to snuggling and loving him...it has been a good and welcome challenge. To know that the three day trip I'm planning in November will also include a plan for making sure that the picture of the day is taken by someone else, that too is a lesson for me in how much wonderful time I've had to spend with Solly in his first year of life. I am truly blessed.

The other light that he has shined on our family is in his siblings. I'm constantly amazed by the way that they love him so much. They want to hold him, to get his attention, to make him laugh, to feed him, to play with him...I hope this delight in their brother (and in each other?) continues to grow and be always a part of our family's life.

What light has changed you this year? Feel free to answer here or pop over to Jewels of Elul to answer there.

No comments: