Monday, August 6, 2012

#BlogElul and #ElulGram 2012

It's hard to believe that the month of Elul is almost here.

Elul -- that wonderful and terrifying month that precedes the High Holy Days.
A month of introspection and considering, a month of personal reflection and preparation.
Perfect for blogging and other social media...

For the last few years, I've embarked on a "BlogElul" project. This year, I'm planning to do the same. With a few tweaks.

I have made a list of Elul-related topics, and I'm inviting you (yes, you! reader, colleague, friend...anyone with a desire to share ideas about the holidays) to join me.

But I'm not stopping only with blogging. Sure, it's called BlogElul but you can "blog" in any way you like. Maybe it's your daily Facebook update or tweet. Maybe it's your Instagram photos or your FourSquare checkins (can't wait to see how that would work out). Maybe you don't want to do it daily. Maybe you just want to dip your toe into the experience, or just read (and share?) what others write. It's totally up to you.

And just like we did for #BlogExodus, this is pretty simple. I've provided a topic (somewhat randomly mixed up) for each of the days of the month of Elul...just write a blog post about that topic on the assigned day! Use the hashtag to share your post, even in your title. This might be a great way to kickstart your blog (are you new at it?) and it might be a great way to get yourself ready for the themes and ideas of the holiday! (I plan to use #BlogElul in all my post titles, so that the hashtag is already there.)

And then there's #Elulgram. It's far more open to interpretation! Just as we did for #Exodusgram, I'm inviting you to post photos related to the same themes as the blogging project. Maybe you're not a writer or you don't have a blog - so take a picture instead! (And don't forget, sharing pictures is not limited to Instagram, but there is also Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Tumblr....etc.)

Whatever you do, don't forget to tag it with #Elulgram so we can all share.

The themes are totally up for your own interpretation!

I tried to think broadly about the general themes of the High Holy Days, and they are totally open to your own interpretations. There are no rules, but feel free to collaborate, cross-post, share thoughts, etc.

And yes, I know that the dates include Shabbat. I personally don't blog/tweet/Facebook on Shabbat, but I will post after Shabbat is over. That's my custom but you can do whatever you like.)

Are you going to play along? Let me know! Leave me a comment here, send me a tweet, or send up a signal fire... . Feel free to grab my pretty badge to announce to the whole world that you're Blogging Elul. If you let me know that you're doing it, we can cross-post, or guest-post, or even just do some virtual hand-holding as the days grow closer to Tishrei. I'll try to link to as many posts and pics as I can - won't it be amazing to all share in the Elul journey together?

I'm looking forward to sharing this journey with you.
Elul begins on August 19th, so I wanted to give you a head start if you're going to pre-write some of your posts.

I hope that our shared preparation for 5773 brings meaning and hope, inspiration and enlightenment for all of us.

6 comments:

Julie said...

I'm in. Great topics - some of them have already sparked some ideas.

Rabbi Rachel Gurevitz said...

I'll see you at #BlogElul!

M said...

I am in!

Mark Hurvittz said...

You are so good! Thank you. You've got me thinking about the possibilities of Instagram now.

Juval said...

Fantastic idea! I guess the labeling thing works only on twitter?

alto artist said...

Excellent idea, and I'm jumping in mid-stream...

--aa.