Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Books Read in 2014

For many years, I've kept track of the books I read.
The real reason that I do it is because often people say, "what should I read?" and then my mind goes blank and I can't think of a single title.
So I keep a list.

Reading is an escape for me...a chance to move into a whole new world and immerse myself there...a chance to learn something new...a chance to explore places and times in which I've never lived or even been...since I was a young child I've always had a book in my hand. Okay, now it's a Kindle...same idea.


Here's this year's list, somewhat out of order, since I started keeping the list on Goodreads but I can't figure out how to get it in order! Anyway, follow me over there for regular updates!


This year, I put stars by the ones that I would especially recommend.


  1. The Silence of Bonaventure Arrow by Rita Leganski*
  2. The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey
  3. Lost Lake by Sarah Addison Allen* (she's one of my favorites)
  4. Solving for Ex by LeighAnn Kopans*
  5. The Wanting by Michael Lavigne
  6. The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert
  7. Wonder by R. J. Palacio*
  8. Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein
  9. Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock by Matthew Quick
  10. One Girl's Story by John L. Smith
  11. The Maid's Version by Daniel Woodrell
  12. The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer
  13. Teeth by Hannah Moskowitz
  14. Still Writing by Dani Shapiro
  15. Love, Loss and What I wore by Ilene Beckerman
  16. The Winter Horses by Philip Kerr
  17. The Path of Names by Ari Goelman
  18. The Department of Lost and Found by Allison Winn Scotch
  19. A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki
  20. We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler
  21. The Here and Now by Ann Brashares
  22. Reality Boy by A.S. King
  23. Fugitive Colors by Lisa Barr
  24. Still Life with Breadcrumbs by Anna Quindlen
  25. The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith*
  26. Goodnight June by Sarah Jio*
  27. The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin*
  28. The Eleventh Plague by Jeff Hirsch
  29. The One by Kiera Cass
  30. Life's That Way by Jim Beaver
  31. We Were Liars by E. Lockhart*
  32. I am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes*
  33. Orphan Train by Christina Kline Baker
  34. Earth Awakens by Orson Scott Card
  35. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr*
  36. The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty
  37. The Given Sacrifice by S. M. Stirling
  38. Chestnut Street by Maeve Binchy
  39. The Heist by Daniel Silva (my favorite author!)*
  40. The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness
  41. Saving Mozart by Yerushalmy
  42. The Family by David Laskin
  43. Tease by Amanda Maciel
  44. Margot by Jillian Cantor
  45. Tribes by Seth Godin
  46. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
  47. First World Problems by LeighAnn Kopans
  48. The Baker's Daughter by Sarah McCoy
  49. Rare Bird by Anna Whiston-Donaldson
  50. Popular by Maya Van Wagonen
  51. To Rise Again at a Decent Hour by Joshua Ferris
  52. Sisters by Raina Telgemeier (because Yael made me)
  53. Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon
  54. Men Explain Things to Me by Rebecca Solnit
  55. The Paper Magician by Charlie Holmberg
  56. The Dept of Speculation by Jenny Offill
  57. The Ice Cream Queen of Orchard Street by Jane Gillman
  58. Henna House by Nomi Eve*
  59. My Promised Land by Ari Shavit*
    60. The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd*
    61. Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel*

I've already started a list of books to read for 2015. As I said to my dad, "it's too long!" Oh well....there's always another book to read!


Previous years' lists are here.

1 comment:

Colleen @AMadisonMom said...

Awesome list!!!! Sarah Addison Allen is one of my favorites too.

I started doing some reviews with Litfuse.... and the books they share are always amazing. I think you can see their list of books here http://litfusegroup.com/ without actually joining the group. Some I loved... The Brickmaker's Bride (Judith Miller), A Lady at Willowgrove Hall (Sarah E. Ladd), and Love Without End (Robin Lee Hatcher).

(The other groups I do reviews with are good too... but tend to be nothing but fluff and mostly racy. I enjoy them... they're fun... but don't fit your list.)