Friday, May 31, 2024

May 2024 Books

 


May was a weird month. I feel like I hardly read anything and there were a couple of books that I actually started and didn't finish. (And one of those I've returned to, so I might have something to report on in June). But I also think that Family Family is one of my top books of the year. So if for nothing else, May was great!

Family Family by Laurie Frankel - I loved this one so much, I didn't want it to end. I adored the way the story came together and the different ideas about how families are created. Breathtaking, emotional, beautiful. One of my top reads of the year, I'm sure.

Jews Don't Count by David Baddiel - lots of feelings here too, but different kinds of them. I think this is an important book to read in order to have a real perspective on what it means to be part of a "successful" minority. Probably read very differently when it was originally written than my reading of it now!

Once We Were Home by Jennifer Rosner - interwoven tales of children whose identities were hidden during World War II, and their lives converge in the early days of the State of Israel. Readable, interesting, and it ended without feeling like a real wrap-up, but perhaps that was intentional since their lives were so upended and so much closure was missing for the characters...

A Love Song for Ricki Wilde by Tia Williams - After her first book, I really hoped to love this one, but I found some of the paranormal bits to just be too much. I think it was a little long too long, and I was pleased with the wrapup at the end, but I would have liked to have gotten there a little faster. 

Marry Me By Midnight by Felicia Grossman - This one checked a lot of boxes - romance, regency-era, Jewy, happily-ever-after. A fun read.

Previous Months...

April Books
March Books
February Books
January Books



No comments: