Saturday, November 6, 2010

Spring Back, Fall Forward?

Seriously, enough with the daylight savings thing.

Yes, I know that we get an "extra hour of sleep tonight."

And yes, I understand many of the arguments that it's good for energy savings, and all that.

But it just isn't any fun to deal with cranky children who don't understand why the clock says one thing but their body says another.

And um, parents too. I can't tell you how long it takes me to get used to eating meals at different times.

When it gets dark, it gets dark. That's just how it is.

And don't even get me started on how daylight savings works in Israel. Because I understand that even less. (And again, don't get me started on Indiana.)

Someone please tell me why this daylight savings thing is important? I once read an article that explained that DST unfairly impacted people who care for small children far more than those who don't. (here's an article that says it should go away.)

What do you think?

3 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

I can't tell you how much I H-A-T-E the daylight-savings lag. Actually, it's 5:03 AM and my boys just woke up! Yippee!

Been thinking of you a lot lately. You look incredible, and you seem chipper. Good for you! I know I'm far away, and we've never *actually* met, but if there's anything I can do for you, either rabbi-to-Ima, Ima-to-Ima, Ima-to-rabbi, or rabbi-to-rabbi, just say the word.

xoxo

Sara said...

As someone who's been up since 4:30 trying to explain to a 6 year old why some person decided a long time ago to use DST, I can categorically say the time change SUCKS. Let's hope we all have a better time adjusting to it than it appears.

Rebecca Einstein Schorr said...

I cannot complain b/c my DH, who is home for the weekend, sent me to a hotel for two nights to get some decent sleep.

I heard a VERY interesting interview with a fellow from Britain on the topic of Daylight Savings.


Link to interview:
http://www.scpr.org/programs/madeleine-brand/2010/11/04/the-case-for-keeping-daylight-saving-time-all-year/



Link to article by him: http://www.mayerhillman.com/Daylight-saving.aspx