Friday, January 14, 2011

The Tu B'Shevat Spirit

The holiday of Tu B'Shevat is coming - the birthday of the trees!
We've had lots of fun over the years with Tu B'Shevat, it's one of my favorite holidays. One year, I made green pancakes for breakfast. And of course, other fun tree/earthy sorts of activities.

But this year, I saw a great post from a friend on Facebook, showing me her Tu B'Shevat challah. It was gorgeous (she's quite a cook AND lucky for me, she lives in Europe so her Shabbat prep started way before mine...) so I thought I'd give it a try.

Here's my not-so-tree-like (but if you squint really hard and use your imagination...) Tu B'Shevat challah:

Can you see the tree in there?

And thanks to LeighAnn, because of her challah post, I now always braid with 6 strands - one for each member of our family. What a sweet and wonderful idea. (Oh, and a thank you to Tina Wasserman, for teaching me how to braid a six-braid challah.)

Hopefully more Tu B'Shevat posts coming this week as the holiday approaches...bli neder.

3 comments:

Mara ~ Kosher on a Budget said...

I can totally see the tree! Awesome. I'm planning to post my favorite date brownie recipe next week for Tu B'Shevat.

And I also love LeighAnn's idea of a strand for each family member. Since DH does the challot, though, I'll let him decide if he wants to take that on!

Galit Breen said...

This is pure GENIUS! Love it! Anyone else read green pancakes and go straight to green challah?! No? Only me? Hmm...:) Shabbat Shalom, Mama!

Laura said...

This is a great idea--I have to remember for next year!