Monday, August 12, 2013

#blogElul 6: Do


Do what you can
with what you have
where you are. 


I love these words because they remind me that while I am always striving to be my best self, I have to live in this moment, where I am, at this time. 

Some days I am able to do more. 
Many days less. 
But I make do
with that which is in me....
each day is its own time,
 its own place, 
its own moment of being. 

We get lost, I think,
when we forget to re-assess. 
Where am I now?
What do I have?
What can I do?

It changes constantly. 
But we forget to recheck.
We forget to check in
with ourselves and 
with others. 

Some days I can do more. 
And some less. 
And if I forget to reassess 
I might be sad or mad or glad 
that this day wasn't like the one before.

Do what you can
with what you have
where you are. 

The Jewish month of Elul, which precedes the High Holy Days, is traditionally a time of renewal and reflection. It offers a chance for spiritual preparation for the Days of Awe. It is traditional to begin one’s preparation for the High Holy Days during this month with the Selichot, the prayers of forgiveness. We look to begin the year with a clean slate, starting anew, refreshed. All month, along with others, I'll be blogging a thought or two for each day to help with the month of preparation... I will be blogging here, and sharing #Elulgram photos on the same themes at imabima.tumblr.com. Follow me on twitter @imabima for all the #BlogElul posts, not only mine but others' as well! This year, I'm not doing a linky or anything like that -- I'm conserving energy! So be sure to tag your posts on Twitter and Facebook so I can catch them with my alerts....

No comments: