Friday, August 29, 2014

#BlogElul 3: Bless


Lately I've been having a hard time with words of blessing.
They certainly don't trip off my tongue.

How to speak of blessing when it just doesn't seem right?

But then again...how not?

Last year I wrote about finding the blessings within the darkness.

I could not even begin to imagine what the next months would hold for us.

And yet....there are still blessings to be had.

We say "may his memory be for a blessing."

Blessings aren't always about joy, I've come to discover.
Blessings have more depth than that, I think.

It doesn't make the words that much easier to say, though.

The Jewish month of Elul, which precedes the High Holy Days, is traditionally a time of renewal and reflection. It offers a chance for spiritual preparation for the Days of Awe. It is traditional to begin one’s preparation for the High Holy Days during this month with the Selichot, the prayers of forgiveness. We look to begin the year with a clean slate, starting anew, refreshed. All month, along with others, I'll be blogging a thought or two for each day to help with the month of preparation... I will be blogging here, and sharing #Elulgram photos on the same themes at imabima.tumblr.com. Follow me on twitter @imabima for all the #BlogElul posts, not only mine but others' as well! Read more about #BlogElul here.

1 comment:

Batya said...

This post has been included in Shiloh Musings: Havel Havelim Not Shoftim, Judges.

I hope you'll visit, read the various posts and share, thanks.