Saturday, August 30, 2014

#BlogElul 4: Accept


I accept that
I may not
be able to do
everything
that I want to do.

I accept that
things do not
always
work out
the way that
I want them to.

But do not think that
my acceptance
is also
acquiescence.

Because
it is
not.

The Jewish month of Elul, which precedes the High Holy Days, is traditionally a time of renewal and reflection. It offers a chance for spiritual preparation for the Days of Awe. It is traditional to begin one’s preparation for the High Holy Days during this month with the Selichot, the prayers of forgiveness. We look to begin the year with a clean slate, starting anew, refreshed. All month, along with others, I'll be blogging a thought or two for each day to help with the month of preparation... I will be blogging here, and sharing #Elulgram photos on the same themes at imabima.tumblr.com. Follow me on twitter @imabima for all the #BlogElul posts, not only mine but others' as well! Read more about #BlogElul here.

2 comments:

Batya said...

Yes, we accept that that we don't control the world, but we can still complain.

michelle said...

beautiful! Acceptance is such a vitally important word on so many different levels.