Six years ago today, I had my first baby.
Happy Birthday David!
Here are 13 random remembrances on his sixth birthday...
1. The night before David was born, I ate a cheese sandwich at 10pm. My water broke at 2am. Good thing I'd had a snack!
2. Our graduate school, Hebrew Union College, was next door to the hospital where I gave birth. Most of our friends came over and hung out at lunchtime while I was in labor.
3. We used to put David to sleep with Daddy's t-shirt. He was the first baby to come to our co-op daycare with Daddy's shirt instead of Mommy's.
4. For David's first birthday party, we invited everyone we knew, all our friends. Almost no one else had kids! I made lasagnas, we ordered a big cake from Costco, and at 7pm we put the kid to bed and played poker.
5. When David was 2, he figured out how to crawl *under* the gate to his room and come into mine.
6. He walked at a year, and potty-trained at 3. Both almost exactly.
7. When he was almost 4, he put a bean in his ear and we had to go to the ER to have it removed. Those were the days before my blog. Otherwise, it would have been blogged!
8. He has never asked us to "take back" the babies. I'm proud of him for that. Sometimes he tells me that he wishes he were by himself again but he never asks us to get rid of his brother or sister.
9. My big kid is very articulate and well-read, especially for a kid who can't actually read.
10. The other day he shocked me by reciting the Pledge of Allegiance in English and Spanish...and counted to 30 in Spanish. Wow, he's learning so much!
11. For David's 2nd birthday, we celebrated his birthday with "If You Give A Mouse a Cookie." For his 3rd birthday, it was a Balloon Party (because at age 2, all they wanted to do was play with the balloons! So we obliged). For birthday #4 it was a Superhero Party and for age 5 it was a Lego Party. This year we were Ninjas. I think we might have to move next year's party out of the house. Next year he'll be 7 - that many boys in my house might be just a bit too much.
12. David plays a mean Guitar Hero.
13. I never thought one little person could teach me so much. I love him so much -- he completely changed my life!
Happy Birthday, David!
See more Thursday Thirteen here...