Monday, July 28, 2008

Skateboarding on the Grass....

Did you know that you can skateboard on grass? And on your belly?

That is, if you're 6 and 2 years old.



This was one of those parenting moments when I couldn't think of a good reason to say no, even though that was my gut reaction. So...I said yes. And then I went for the camera, because they had so much fun.

I feel like those moments come up the most in the summertime, when things are fun and crazy. Today, for example, we were playing with the sand and water table. It's really just a water table this summer, much less emphasis on the sand. The boys started to "spill" on each other...and then it got a little more, and a little more, and then even mama got into the act with the hose! Because I just couldn't think of a good reason to say no. Kids and clothes are washable....

What have you said yes to lately?

See some great pictures here at Mother May I...

11 comments:

Melissa said...

Love it! Looks like ya'll were having a blast!

iMother2.0 said...

It's so fun just to let go, isn't it? I've found that summer time helps bring out more of the carefree mama in me.

I LOVE both shots...what a cutie on his belly...great angle. You were on your belly, too...huh?

On the grass, is how I learned how to skateboard...they don't take off as fast :)

Christina said...

Good for you for saying YES! Those are the things they will remember. I also am trying to say no less often and yes more. As you say - why not?!

Robin said...

I think that's such an important part of parenting, resisting that urge to say no just because it was your kneejerk reaction, when really yes would be just fine.

Good for you mama, and it sounds like you had as much fun as they did.

Jen said...

I find myself doing the same thing. About 99% of the time my gut says "no" so I am learning to override it and just let it go. Man, that is harder said than done. I love the skateboarding on the grass. Great photos.

Megan said...

grassboarding is brilliant -- more fun, fewer injuries :)!

Melody A. said...

I'd say, "Go for it." Seems safer, not such a hard fall and I'm always a chicken when it comes to dangerous things.

Jack Steiner said...

I always wanted a skateboard when I was a kid, but my parents always said no.

They look like they had a lot of fun.

Marci said...

Hello! Great pictures!!

I said yes to moving - I have tried not to let little anxieties get in the way of a great opportunity to live with my sister, save some money, and cut down on my commute. A little stress will lead to terrific rewards, methinks!

emily said...

I think that saying yes is what will make lasting memories! I'm glad you have pictures to help you remember.

PepGiraffe said...

There's lots of things that kids can do that adults can do. It's not just grassboarding. It's also dressing up in costume pretty much any day of the week.