Friday, September 5, 2008

Tzedek, Tzedek Tirdof*

Justice, O Justice,
you shall pursue her always.
It is a great goal.

This week's Torah portion, Shoftim, reminds us that justice is our highest goal, our loftiest aspiration. It is a Torah portion full of rules -- rules for judges, rules for kings, rules for Levites, rules for prophets, rules for witnesses, rules for war. Interesting, then, that the Wordle for this week's portion finds the word "shall" as its most common word.



And, of course, I made one of the famous verse: "Justice, justice shall you pursue."
*The title of this post is the Hebrew version of this phrase.



Read more Haikus here.
Read more about the Torah portion here.

Shabbat Shalom y'all!

Did you post about the Torah portion today or this week?
Leave me a link if you did! (And comments. I'm a fan of comments.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicely done, the haiku and the fun Wordles!

Leora said...

I was thinking of this one last night, as I read the parsha. As the Torah does not repeat anything for a reason, why the double "justice, justice"? My husband looked up the reason and told me one, but I was too tired to listen, and I fell asleep. I'm not a night person.

No post on the parsha yet, but I'm aiming for Sunday morning.

Ilanadavita said...

It makes me think of tzedakah and the custom of putting money in a pushke before Shabbat.

Storytellin' Mama said...

Shabbat Shalom!!
Nice post and haiku!

Anonymous said...

It is a great goal. Wonderful haiku. Happy Friday.