Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Delicious Dinner for Me!!!

Early last year, I read The Six O'Clock Scramble, by Aviva Goldfarb. (I figure if I take the cookbook to read in bed, it counts as a book I read.) It's got a whole lot of great recipes, many of them vegetarian or adaptable to vegetarian. Truthfully, I didn't make any of the recipes. Truthfully, I took the book out of the library and marked a few recipes down that I wanted to try. And I never did.

As I was trying to think of what to make for dinner tonight, I found the pile of recipes that I've been jotting down, saving, etc. In there was this recipe for Chickpea Tomato Stew, which sounded just about right for dinner. Oh my goodness, it was wonderful....so here I share it with you, with my comments/modifications.




CHICKPEA TOMATO STEW
(adapted from Aviva Goldfarb)
Prep + Cook = 25 minutes
6 servings (okay, I'm not sure that it's really six. I think maybe 3-4 nice hearty servings.)

Ingredients
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1/2 onion and 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped I used almost a whole onion, not so finely chopped, and two big tablespoons of minced garlic from a jar that I keep handily in my fridge.
• 2 teaspoons curry powder
• 1 teaspoon cumin (which I almost lost while making the recipe and helping with homework. I set it down near the math-doing child. Then spent 10 minutes looking for it and trying to decide if I could make the recipe without it because how did I suddenly run out of cumin. Then I found it.)
• 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, drained
• 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes The can I used had chili peppers in it, I think.
• 1 cup prepared pasta sauce or tomato sauce I used Newman's Own Sockarooni which added quite a kick.
• sour cream for serving
• handful of fresh mint and/or fresh oregano for garnish (optional) I mean, you can, but I didn't bother.

In a skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute them until they start to sizzle. Add the curry powder and cumin and cook the onions, stirring, for 1 more minute. Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, and pasta sauce or tomato sauce and simmer the stew for about 10 minutes. (During this time, run around looking for the cumin you misplaced.)

Serve it over couscous or rice, topped with a spoonful of sour cream. I used rice.

It was so darn good, I could have eaten the whole pan. Which would have, of course, defeated the purpose of the whole healthy-eating thing.

The kids ate pasta with the rest of the sockarooni sauce. No accounting for taste.

Here it is all set up in a re-usable container for tomorrow's lunch. Rice on the bottom. Sour cream in a little container to take with....yay!

 By the way, the Kosher Cooking Carnival is up over here at kosher.com and I'll be hosting KCC in the near future (yay me!)...

Oh, and if you're interested in food these days, check out FrumeSarah, she's giving installments on her experiences at the Hazon Food Conference!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The web-based Six O'Clock Scramble has changed my life for the better this year--and you can choose kosher or vegetarian recipes. The best thing is printing out the grocery list. My whole family likes it, my kids say we eat better.

Jendeis said...

This looks delicious! I'm adding it to my list of must-make-soon. :)

Anonymous said...

This looks yummy. One question though: with both a can of tomatoes and tomato sauce don't you end up with too much sauce?