Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Bread with Soup....Delicious AND green

I always think it's more "green" to make something yourself. Think you can't make bread? Here's the super-easiest-quickest bread to throw in the oven while soup is simmering on the stove. And delicious!

Beer Bread
(From an old issue of Women's Health magazine)

3 cups self-rising flour (I have read that you can substitute 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt to one cup all-purpose flour if you don't have self-rising flour. But it's an easy thing to keep on hand.)
2 Tbsp sugar
1 can (12 oz) light beer at room temperature (I usually have bottled beer, I usually don't have light beer, and I don't always remember to get it at room temperature. It works.)
1 egg + 1 Tbsp water, beaten (last time, I doubled the recipe but I didn't double this part and it worked fine)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a bread-loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar and beer. Pour into pan. Let sit until doubled in size, about 15 minutes.
Brush the top with egg mixture.
Bake for one hour or until you believe it's done.
Cool if you can wait.

If you make it with light beer, it's pretty low-cal.

Sounds good, doesn't it? Went great with vegetable soup!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My recipe for this is:

3 C. self rising flour
3 T sugar
1 bottle of beer or ale

no rising; bake @ 350 for an hour.

I vary the flavor a bit by the beer / ale I choose & sometimes add dried fruit - for example blueberries with a summer blueberry beer

Anonymous said...

This sounds good. I am sure the flavor is lovely.

Jack Steiner said...

Yum.