Sunday, February 21, 2010

Hamantaschen Test Kitchen #3: Gluten-Free

My family is not gluten-free. But we have several close friends who are. So when I posted earlier this month that I'd be starting my hamantaschen baking, one of those friends asked if I'd be making any gluten-free delicacies.
Um, no. (Who does she think I am?)

But I offered to come over to her house and try to make them with her (because I thought it would make a good blog post, I'll admit it)...and so we did.

We used this recipe, which I thought seemed to be the most resembling regular hamantaschen.

I've never baked gluten-free, but I have tasted many of my friend's results. I know how much work goes into getting these baked goods to come out right, and how generally important the directions are. So when it says to "coat" the dough in (GF) flour, it really means it.

I'm just sayin'....

So, here's what they looked like before baking...
And after....
And my little gluten-eaters didn't even know the difference.

See more Hamantaschen Test Kitchen Posts:
Cream Cheese Dough
Gingerbread?

More coming - I have two other recipes that I'd like to get made before this weekend!

And, in case you're interested, I think that last one is my Best Shot Monday!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I'm impressed!

I am using a new recipe tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes :)

Cassidy said...

Thank you for making this recipe. My father is gluten-free, and my mother has to beg off me to get hamantaschen. Now she can make her own.

Minnesota Mamaleh said...

love the pictures and the sentiment. we are not gluten free but have hosted oh-so-many who are. it's always nice to graciously serve the people what they can actually eat! thanks :)

Jew Wishes said...

Great post and photos to go with.

Anonymous said...

Our new recipe passed the test!!! Come over, when you get a chance, and take a look.

countryfriedmama said...

It's been interesting to me to see how different American regions approach hamantashen. In the South, I've found predominantly citrus-fruit filling recipes, although I remember prune or poppyseed as the only choices during my New England childhood. Delicious discoveries...