Friday, February 26, 2010

Hamantaschen Test Kitchen #6: Yeast Dough Hamantaschen

I'll admit, I had never even heard of Yeast Dough Hamantaschen until a congregant of mine mentioned them to me. Somehow, the idea of yeast dough for hamantaschen piqued my curiosity (and, um, my tastebuds!). Marcy Goldman, in her cookbook Jewish Holiday Baking, has a recipe, but it calls for scalded milk. Too complicated! Hey Marcy, why do you have to scald the milk? What's the benefit?

So instead, I turned to the trusty Internet and found this recipe from the wise Gil Marks.
No scalded milk required.

It worked great. I did the overnight rise, and then baked them in the morning. I'm a little bit hooked on the slightly sour yeasty flavor of the dough coupled with the sweetness of the date filling that I used.

Don't they look yummy? I ate mine fresh out of the oven, it was
soft and fabulous.
Some things that I found perplexing about working with this recipe, though:
1. These definitely opened up way in the oven way more than any other hamantaschen I've made. Even with an egg wash to bind them. I wonder how to keep them together more. I also used egg wash on top before baking.

2. When rolling out, I couldn't get the scraps to "re-roll." Thus, I ended up with a lot of waste. I couldn't figure out what to do with the scraps, I'm sure I could have made little rolls or something, but I couldn't get the dough to reconnect with itself. Any bread makers out there have advice for me in this department?

3. The extra rising made the whole thing take a lot longer. Not only the dough (I'm used to the chilling thing) but also the second rise. I wonder if that had something to do with the opening up in the oven thing also.

And thus ends the Great Hamantaschen Test Kitchen of 5770.
Whew. I think that a whole year until I see another hamantaschen will be just about right.

I think that next year I'll just make chocolate and cream cheese. Those were my two favorites. Hmm. Maybe a batch of the yeast dough ones again to see if I can get them right? And the gingerbread ones were pretty yummy....ack!

Previous Hamantaschen Test Kitchen posts here:
Cream Cheese Dough
Gingerbread?
Gluten Free Hamantaschen
Chocolate!
Aunt Dora's Recipe

6 comments:

Jack Steiner said...

Yum, now I am hungry.

Kineret WillowGreene said...

That does look yummy! When we made ours this year we had a jar of olives sitting nearby and my 17-year-old daughter asked (jokingly) if we were going to use those. It got us thinking that a non-sweet hamantaschen with a olive, mushroom, and feta cheese filling would be yummy. Have you seen any recipes for non-sweet (savory?)hamantaschen? Just curious...

Phyllis Sommer said...

Hey Kinneret - I tried to email you but it wouldn't go through (twice!)

here's what i said:
Yes, jcarrot.org had savory hamantaschen last year and I made pizza-taschen - I just
used calzone dough and filled them with cheese, we dipped in marinara.
If you can't find the jcarrot link, let me know and I have it
bookmarked somewhere!

It made such a fun purim menu!!!

AudreyO said...

Over the years I've collected many hamentachen recipes, but never chocolate hamentachen. This year however we did get a chocolate covered batch in one our shalach manos bags.

Susanne said...

My kids and I always make yeast hamantaschen with an old family recipe that is very similar to Marcy G's. I use either water or soy milk to keep the dough pareve. When I seal them, I brush the edges with egg then pinch really hard. That usually works.

Regarding the rolling/waste issue: You can either divide the dough into pieces for each hamantasch and then roll each one (more work but no waste), or roll out, cut and then let the dough rest for a good 15-20 mins before you attempt to re-roll.

Anonymous said...

I've made pizza-taschen before, which uses a yeast dough. They did tend to open up a bit. I'll try with the egg wash and pinching, to see if I can get them to stay closed better.