Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Snow Day Project: Winter Sun-Catcher

We had one of the biggest February snow storms in Chicago history this week. Not as bad as the east coast, but I was quite content with our blanket of snow.

A perfect time to try this project from Family Fun magazine, which I cut out for just such an occasion!

It's a Winter Sun Catcher.
Very easy to do, first you make colored ice cubes. We didn't have ice cube trays, so I got some in the Dollar Spot at Target, and yes, they were heart-shaped.

My kids wanted to watch them freeze. Keeping the freezer door open is not the optimal way to get that done. So we went sledding while we waited.
Then you put the frozen cubes into a round cake pan, with a plastic cup filled with water also set in the pan. Our ice cubes ran a bit, but the almost-finished products looked like this:

Then we popped them out and hung them in front of our house:
I wonder what they'll look like when it starts to thaw...good thing that's not predicted any time soon!

7 comments:

Robin said...

Those are SO cool! No chance of them working here of course, but I'm going to send the link to my sister in MA for her to try.

Anonymous said...

Beauitful!

rachel

オテモヤン said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Julie said...

Great Project. I'm going to try it.

Sara said...

What a cute, fun idea! Next time, you could freeze them outside if the kids really want to watch. I'll have to try it when we move to points further north.

Jew Wishes said...

What a wonderful and fun project. Great idea.

Stacyrobinyellow said...

Adorable and Great Memories!