Tuesday, June 22, 2010

One Happy Camper

So...we dropped off our oldest kid at camp on Monday.
(This is not a post about the importance of Jewish summer camp - this is purely an Ima post.)

Which means it's now been 2 days since I've heard from him.

I haven't called.
I haven't texted.
I haven't emailed.

Okay, that last one was a little lie. A rabbi-friend emailed to ask me a reasonable camp/work-related question. I snuck in a P.S. "how's my kid?"

But aside from that?

Truthfully, I miss him. I miss having him around and a part of our daily lives. But I'm also so curious to know how he's doing, I want to hear about every little detail, I want to know everything.

And I know that I just won't.

That is what I realized today. I just can't know it all any more. When he started in daycare (8 years ago!?), I got a little slip of paper at the end of every day. It charted every diaper change, every meal, every nap, every everything and I got a little written note telling me how his day went. Things have certainly changed since then.

But now? There will be mountains of details that he's not going to share with me. Not even because he's being secretive or whatever, but because that's just how it is.

And that's the sound of my heart breaking a little....

...but also rejoicing, too.
He's independent, bright, happy, and ready.

He's still my baby. Always.
But he's growing up too.
And that's okay.

2 comments:

Minnesota Mamaleh said...

i'm so very happy for you and your boy. but my heart is breaking just a teeny-tiny bit for...change, i guess?

but lol at the cutely and oh-so-stealthily snuck in text! :)

Sara said...

A great post, Phyl. I feel that way about my kids starting kindergarten and 3 day preschool. We really aren't going to know everything they do, who they do it with, etc. but that is a good thing, too. Thanks for the reminder! And, good luck the rest of the time he's at camp.