Monday, July 26, 2010

Love is in the Air

The Homeshuler has challenged some of the Jewish bloggers to tell everyone their favorite Jewish love song in honor of Tu B'Av. Tu B'Av is a relatively unknown "holiday" in the Jewish calendar. Coming fast on the heels of Tisha B'Av (the 9th of Av), Tu B'Av (the 15th of Av) is completely its opposite. It is a Jewish "love" day - young unmarried girls would dance in white dresses and sing in the vineyards of Jerusalem. Less than a week after the mournful day of Tisha B'Av, Tu B'Av offers a respite, a reminder that life goes on, that love goes on, that we must endure and continue to celebrate. It is a chance to be joyous and silly after weeks of preparation for mourning.

So...it's a perfect day for love songs.

I'm not great at the whole "what's your favorite song" question. It usually happens to be whatever I'm listening to! So I had do quite a bit of thinking.

First, I thought of the Song of Songs. After all, it is the most well-known, beautiful, ancient (Jewish) love song ever written. Here is a lovely rendition of Dodi Li....from my friend Marci's congregation! (With practically her whole family singing!) This was a totally random find, by the way, when I searched for versions of this song, which was sung at my wedding.



Then, I thought of Erev Shel Shoshanim, always a favorite.



Then, I totally cheated and saw Midianite Manna's post - a Broadway song! Good thinking!

This is one of my favorite love songs....written by Richard Rodgers, one of the greats...and, since he's Jewish, it qualifies for Amy's meme!



Whew. This was tough! What's your favorite love song?

Last year on Tu B'Av, I was celebrating my brother's Aliyah! Mazel tov on one year in Israel, little bro!

1 comment:

Tzipporah said...

Nice choices! I didn't think of Dodi Li, even though I love it, because our congregation sings it in a sort of rousing, foot-thumping kind of way that doesn't sound like a love song. It's part of the amp-up-the-Erev-Shabbat-energy routine. :)