Monday, September 17, 2007

Blow the Shofar...my Best Shot Monday

Doesn't he look spiffy? This is David, dressed to the nines for Rosh HaShanah, his first time going to something other than the Tot Services...and toting along his own Shofar. A shofar is a ram's horn that is blown on Rosh HaShanah to start off the New Year. Its sound is primal and strange, considered to be a "wake-up" to us as we begin the year, wake up to our past, wake up to our future.


I love the way he is trying so hard to make the sound come out of the Shofar. It's very hard to blow, there is a special technique that is tricky to master. This too, I believe to be part of the lesson of the shofar...it's not easy to make the sound come out, it takes a great deal of work and practice. Being the best human beings we can be...that too takes work and practice. Sometimes we just get a squawk out of the shofar, sometimes we miss the mark in our dealings with other people. But we must keep practicing and working at it!

See more Best Shot Monday at Picture This...

8 comments:

Melody A. said...

How cute is he? Little boys dressed up just make me laugh. I'm just learning so much from your site.

Maya said...

That's a great picture. And I learned something new today!

Anonymous said...

He is so handsome in his suit. Definitely working hard at blowing the Shofar.

I'm learning a lot about Jewish tradition from you. My sons attended a multi-ethic preschool years ago, and I always loved that they (and me) and all of the children learned so much of one another's faiths and traditions. A huge step in promoting understanding, tolerance and peace in the world.

Dawn said...

So handsome! What a great suit.

kim said...

not only a beautiful shot, but a life lesson as well! your son is quite handsome!

natalie said...

Wow...what a symbolic picture. Thanks for sharing the story with us!

Rose said...

Love the picture of you son blowing the Shofar and simply perfect definition of Rosh Hashanah. I also enjoyed your Tuesday post.

Finally, thank you for stopping by last Monday for Magaphone maddess!

L'Shana Tova!

Robin said...

He looks so serious and so handsome. I'll bet that by next year he's getting a sound out of it.