Sunday, September 23, 2007

Necessary Bindings...Wrapped Emotions #3

This was a crazy week. Not to mention that the whole thing that Melody asked for on this week's Wrapped Emotions post almost made me quit the whole endeavor...I'm not even sure why except that I felt like I'm very happy within my little bloggy world doing these creative exercises but when it comes to the real world...yeah.....it's harder to keep up, I guess. Plus...this was a crazy week (did I mention that?) and I knew I wouldn't be able to do it. Tonight, I was feeling guilty (who knows why...it's not like I made a contract to do this or anything -- and don't get any ideas, Melody!) and I had a sudden flash of inspiration....so here goes.

Once upon a time, someone told me about the "craft" of altered books. After getting over my initial "I can't deface a book" instinct, I fell in love with the whole idea...and got a little bit started on my first "altered book." I went to a rummage sale and rummaged through books 'til I found one that "felt" right and was, in my opinion, okay to destroy...a cookbook. It happened to be a Kosher cookbook, which was also interesting to me... and a bit old, so I didn't feel at all guilty. I made a pretty cover for it, and I folded some of the pages, tore a few others, and did a few of the things that were suggested in the altered books book (i'm a geek) that I took out of the library...and then I gave it all up. Some of the things were too messy, some too crafty, and I just never found it to be a way for me to express myself...

until now! I was so excited to reclaim my altered book for this project. I glued up the folded pages to make them stiffer, glued in the first week's project (which I had almost thrown out...oops) and made a page for the second project, which I have now sent to be really printed by the photo printer. I don't think I'm going to put in the posts or prompts, but maybe...anyway, it's a work in progress and I'll keep thinking about it. But I was very excited to have actually done this, even though I thought I couldn't. Okay, so here are the pictures....(sorry for the length, and the lateness too!)




Go to Wrapped Emotions to see more of the posts...

2 comments:

AS said...

What a great idea!! Really neat!

Wil's Wheels said...

I am so tickled that you did it! Whew, don't make me send out those contracts. ;)

I adore altered books. They are so much fun and make you feel you're being a bit naughty, don't they? This is a terrific idea for an art journal and another completely different take than posted by anyone else.

It is never too late to post a completed project. However, I have already drawn and posted this week's gift recipient.

Hope the coming week eases up on you...and me. :)