Friday, September 14, 2007

Unwrapping the Mind...Taking a Breath...

This week's challenge over at Wrapped Emotions is...

With your digital camera in hand...and I know you have one because I see the photos you post on your blog...step forth into the world. A public place, not your living room or Aunt Bessie's kitchen. Think of places you frequent...a park, a museum (where cameras are allowed), a store, a playground, but do not be limited by my suggestions. Find an object or objects that you have seen before...by objects I mean anything from buildings to poles to poodles to garbage trucks, anything. Lie on your back on the ground or floor and snap at least one photo from that vantage point. Relax.

This has been a busy week for me. With Rosh HaShanah in the middle, I've been rushing around. I think I've only taken a few pics in general, let alone bring my camera into a public place. Have I been in any public places? See the dilemma...

So today, what is technically the second day of Rosh HaShanah (I'm usually a one-day gal myself, but I did lead second-day services at Am Shalom this morning), I am relaxing at home, getting things done, and enjoying the absolutely amazing weather. But I'm still not in a public place!

So...I did the best I could. I went outside into my front yard -- pretty public, don't you think? I laid out on the grass...it was wonderful. For a moment, I just breathed. I looked at the gorgeous trees above me and I marvelled at the wonder of God's creation. The Torah reading for the 2nd Day of Rosh HaShanah is the story of Creation, Genesis Chapter 1. I think that the fall is the perfect time to contemplate creation as everything is so beautiful and lush and perfect...

And so I captured these pics...of the trees above and this one of the roofline of my house. Both are certainly a new view for me, I don't think I've ever laid down in my front yard.


And that is the other lesson of these Holy Days -- to look outside yourself, to look outside your comfort zone, and see the world as you'd like it to be. Looking at these trees, this blue sky, doesn't the world look perfect? I must believe that we have the capacity to make it so...
See more participants at Wrapped Emotions...
Wrapped Emotions button

8 comments:

Wil's Wheels said...

Phyllis, I was so blessed by your post, your photo of the trees, the sunlight. I get excited reading that participants carried out the prompt stating they've never done this before.

Your final paragraph sums it up so eloquently. I believe if we'd all take the time to see the world from different perspectives, we would come so much closer to the beauty and love that is all around us.

Thank you for this...I came nowhere close to philosophical or inspiring this week. :)

Anonymous said...

Phyllis - Beautiful shots, and even more beautiful thoughts. I think your right... by choosing to see beauty, I think it really does make the world a more beautiful place. Thanks for reminding me to look.

Shawn said...

I just love trees ... so this photo was so wonderful for me. Great post, too. I've been lurking since Motherhood is ...

Anonymous said...

Looks perfect to me! And I said so with a shout out to you at my place today. Come have a look.

Anonymous said...

I love your pictures and your perspective!

Unknown said...

Lovely shots. It certainly is a beautiful view of the world.

Kim @ TheBitterBall

Anonymous said...

Phyllis, the tree shot is just gorgeous! Thanks for stopping by today. I am looking forward to reading more of your blog, because I am so inspired by studying Judaism. I believe your faith holds the keys to my faith as well.

JenLive! said...

Beautiful photos.
I ended up doing mine in my yard as well. We certainly don't have to go far to find beauty if we're looking for it.