Friday, October 12, 2007

The Bumpy Path...WE #6

This week's prompt up at Wrapped Emotions was a chance to feel our surroundings...to make crayon-rubbings of various textures in our lives.

I was so excited that I bought a new box of crayons and carried them around in my purse all week.

But it was in my office that I actually did the rubbings...because I was sitting at my desk and I noticed how a few of the books sitting right in front of me had nice textures in the covers. I am a big fan of books, and there are always some laying around my office (along with the bazillions on the shelves!). After I did the three books, I "felt up" every single cover in my office and didn't find any others with fun textures, so I started wandering around our offices, crayon in hand, hoping no one would notice me...I rubbed an etrog box (to hold the citron we use for the holiday of Sukkot), and I rubbed the sign on my door (hence my name) and I basically enjoyed the experience of looking at my office in a new way.

Here are my rubbings:



I do like the second picture, of the first book I rubbed: "How each of us can change the world." (Extra points if you can identify the book I rubbed....leave a comment) Such a powerful idea that we can all change the world. Judaism tells us that if we save one life, it is as if we have saved an entire world. I think this applies to all aspects of "saving the world." If we reuse one grocery bag, it's a start. If we save one bottle of water from a landfill, it's a start. If we blog on blog action day, it's a start. What can you do to save the world?
The whole world is full of texture. It's up to us to take care of it.
See more Wrapped Emotions participants here...and stay tuned for a big wrapped emotions surprise!

13 comments:

The Egel Nest said...

Love your rubbings...

Ani v' atah n'shaneh et ha olam...

I love that theme...together, you and I can change the world! :)

Bradley
The Egel Nest

Anonymous said...

What a great idea to do books! I LOVE books. And such profound words to "feel!"

AS said...

Your taking inspiration from your place of work, and the symbols and words you found there are inspiring to me.

Is that Bill Clinton's new book?

Sheila said...

The books were a great idea! I like how they turned out!

Phyllis Sommer said...

Yes, it is indeed Bill Clinton's new book...Giving. Great title. Haven't read it yet, but I'm expecting good things.

De said...

What a neat thing to use books. I too love books. Great post.

Wil's Wheels said...

I adore books and your rubbings. How each of us can change the world, powerful indeed. I'm not a Clinton fan, but I am intrigued enough to read his new book.

I love that you bought new crayons, "felt up" the books. I cherish books and I collect old ones. Your project closely touched my heart.

I know your surprise! ;)

Nesting Momma said...

I love the words and yes books are a passion as well for me. I love antique books, the notes written from previous readers...great work!

Sara said...

awesome idea

Unknown said...

Great project, such a great idea to do books.

Kim @ TheBitterBall

Melissa @ Banana Migraine said...

What a good idea to use books!

Anonymous said...

Loved your rubbings! I have part of a book cover in my rubbings too! Neat!

bella said...

What a lovely post.
I love this:
to save one person is to save the world.

It made me smile that you went out and bought yourself new crayons.