Friday, January 11, 2008

Making New Year's Resolutions, sort of

I am not usually one to make New Year's resolutions. In fact, I generally consider January 1st to be an interesting change but never feels "different" in the way that Rosh HaShanah does for me. But this year, in the last week of December, I came across the 101 in 1001 challenge. The idea of creating 101 things to do in such a lengthy period of time (1001 days) is more interesting to me than making loose resolutions that I may or may not keep in a year. I had a number of ideas for my list but many of them involved my husband and family. So I convinced begged invited my husband to join me in the challenge. Together we made a list of 50 things to do in 1001 days, and then we each made a list of 51 more personal things. Some of them are simple: Take our vitamins every day (#7), kiss a child every day (#2), some are fun: watch one movie together each week (#23), change the CDs in the car once a month (#34), some are big projects: organize our closet (#44), organize the basement once a month until it's done (#29)....some are private!

My personal list is somewhat similar -- a mishmosh of difficult and simple things that I hope will change my life, make it different, make it more interesting, more beautiful. Here are 13 of my 51 in 1001...

1. Go to gym once a week. One week each month, go 2x a week. (this is actually 2 separate ones)
2. Keep track of all the books I read.
3. Make sure I'm in more of the pictures.
4. Attempt one month each year of the 365 Photos Challenge.
5. Execute one crafty project every three months.
6. Buy bottled water no more than 1x a month (use water bottle).
7. Use travel mug at least twice for every 6 visits to coffee place.
8. One month each year, no Starbucks at all.
9. Start a vegetable garden.
10. Attempt to have a neighborhood block party.
11. Do the Printz Award Challenge (read six of the Printz Award winners)
12. Make soup once a month.
13. Use slow cooker 3x each winter.

What are some of your goals? I think this challenge is so powerful because of the length of it. I am keeping the list posted in my kitchen, inside a cupboard, divided by daily, weekly, monthly, yearly tasks.

Stay tuned for updates on my 101 in 1001 progress...
See more Thursday Thirteen here.

6 comments:

Melanie said...

Great goals..hope you achieve them all! I want to enjoy my family and get settled!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with those and have a great year!

Robin said...

An excellent list.

My only goal for right now is to stop itching and get healthy again, but once that's accomplished I'll get back to my longer-term goals of eating better getting myself back to the gym 3x a week. Oh, and to use my crockpot more too.

the planet of janet said...

wow. those are lofty goals! i think i would have trouble with giving up my starbucks, but i HAVE gone back to the gym (swimming and an aerobics class).

i love love love no. 3, though. there is no actual record of me being on our last vacation.

Rebecca Einstein Schorr said...

I saw this too and thought it looked cool. However, I utterly reject the whole secular resolutions thing b/c I'm still working on my Rosh Hashannah resolutions. And no one can be that good at two sets.

bella said...

I love that you have such a mishmash of a list, the small daily acts with the fun and adventurous beginnings.
And I'm quite taken with this idea of 101 in 1001.