Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Aren't they cute?

I'm not a gardener. Never have really grown or taken care of anything plant-like.

But somehow, I feel a yen to grow vegetables. (I'm still not taken with the idea of flowers, although they are pretty.) It seems a little like a requirement to start becoming greener...to eat some tomatoes that weren't grown halfway across the world.

I've started reading some gardening blogs. Just a few, mind you, I'm not going overboard here! And, thanks to eating lots of Stonyfield Farms yogurt (a whole other post...how much yogurt my kids eat), I now have a free subscription to Organic Gardening magazine.

So I decided to try "container" gardening. I bought a few big bins, put in some soil, and bought these cool plants that come in pots that don't have to be thrown away! That is the part that worked really well, by the way.

So here they are: three different kinds of tomatoes, oregano, basil, chili peppers, and some lettuce seeds.




Grow babies, grow!

So here are my questions, o wise Internet:

1. I used some organic potting soil mixture that had some composty-type things in it. When I flipped over the bags at home to cut them open, it said "not for containers." (Actually, it was after I had loaded almost all the dirt into the containers that I noticed this sign.) Why? Will it be a problem?

2. I bought a "tomato tower" because my dad assures me that they are going to get bigger. When do I put it in?

3. Besides water and sunlight, what else do I have to do? (For my halachically-minded readers, do the laws of first fruits apply to gardens, or only to gardens in Eretz Yisrael, or not to gardens at all? I've never paid a lot of attention to these laws, not being the growing-things-type.)

Hopefully this will all work for me!

13 comments:

Cat said...

Answer to 2 Put the tower on while they are small and they will grow into them.

Laura said...

Woohoo for your cute little garden!!

I've been gardening for several years...and I do pretty well even though I just really don't know what I'm doing!

Here's what I've decided: My garden grows IN SPITE of me.

So I think your organic soil inside the pot will be fine. (again, what do I know?)

Yes, your tomato plants are going to be very tall...I'd say put your cages on soon...just so you won't remember when it's too late.

And then, water...sunlight...and prayer. Like you said, "Grow little plants, grow!" :)

Vered said...

I wish I could help! But I'm clueless when it comes to gardening.

Good luck! It is certainly exciting and I hear that tomatoes from your own garden are THE BEST.

Anonymous said...

Crap -- is there ANYTHING that you can't do??

mother in israel said...

The only things that are concerns outside of Israel are fruit trees and possibly "kilaim." But the halacha is much more lenient about them there.

Leora said...

Container gardening is a little harder than putting them in the yard, because you have to water a little more often. But sounds like you'll pay attention to your babies.

You can also stick marigolds next to your tomato plants. I love growing flowers next to my veggies.

You might want to add a little compost or other organic material to the top in a few weeks. Sort of like feeding your babies a bit.

Tara said...

I don't have any help to offer in the gardening department lol but your plants are cute.. I should try.. lol

marigold said...

I'm so excited for you! I'm hoping to grow my own veggies this year, too, in containers. We shall see!

bella said...

they sure are. :)
can't wait to see pictures a couple of months from now of your fat summer tomatoes.

Cat said...

Another suggestion, growing basil next to tomatoes adds some basil flavor to the tomatoes.

Anonymous said...

I don't have much of a green thumb but have always wanted a garden!

Ima Shalom said...

I just bought mint and basil to grow on my windowsill in my city apartment. I am envious of all the direct sunlight your "babies" will get--if only I could take my plants to the local playground for some sun!

imashalom.blogspot.com

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

that's awesome! good for you. i'm no expert. i'll be learning as i go this year too. :)