Friday, May 16, 2008

Parashat Behar...Gimme a Break!

This week's Torah portion is Behar, from the book of Leviticus.

Sabbatical Year
comes after six years of work!
Year Seven: land rests.

The fiftieth year
is the most special of all
the Jubilee Year!

Everyone goes home,
the land reverts back to each
of its ancestors.

The land is all God's,
we are really just settlers,
using it for now.

(There's some more on reversion of land, debts, debt servitude, etc. But I have a lot to do before Shabbat!)

Shabbat Shalom!

See more Haiku Friday here.

10 comments:

jena strong said...

Thanks for your comment
I've lurked here for a long time
Glad to be Jewish!

Leora said...

Phyllis,

I liked the first part a lot.

But you did change the basic text:
דַּבֵּר אֶל-בְּנֵי יִשְׂרָאֵל, וְאָמַרְתָּ אֲלֵהֶם, כִּי תָבֹאוּ אֶל-הָאָרֶץ, אֲשֶׁר אֲנִי נֹתֵן לָכֶם--וְשָׁבְתָה הָאָרֶץ, שַׁבָּת לַה

When ye come into the land which I give you

Seems to me that God did give Bnei Yisrael the land, but we have to take care of it.

Have a Shabbat Shalom.

Phyllis Sommer said...

Jena - glad you've delurked!

Leora - You are definitely right, I did leave that part out...the text definitely gives us the responsibility...

Vered said...

"Everyone goes home,
the land reverts back to each
of its ancestors."

This is an amazing concept - I can't imagine it being done today! Thanks. You always make me THINK. And Shabbat Shalom!

Storytellin' Mama said...

Shabbat Shalom! Nice poem.

the planet of janet said...

well done as usual.

Anonymous said...

Shabbat Shalom, Phyllis.

Anonymous said...

Fascinating...! Especially Leora's comment. I'm crazy about ancient texts... I ponder.

rbarenblat said...

"The land is all God's" --
A great encapsulation.
I love your haiku!

rabbi neil fleischmann said...

nice. i really liked:

The land is all God's,
we are really just settlers,
using it for now.

im glad to find a kindred spirit, been writing haiku on the parshiot and other matters for some time.