Monday, May 19, 2008

Starting them young...BSM

My daughter does seem to have a bit of an obsession with my Starbucks cups. She always wants them! One day last week we were playing outside and, sadly, I ran out out coffee. Yael, on the other hand, was not sad at all...because she had a new and wonderful plaything: Mom's cup.








I have often wondered about the effects of marketing on our kids. My husband remarked the other day that our now 6-year-old believed that Target and Toys R Us were "toy museums" where he could look but not take things home...until he was about 4 years old (unfortunately, he now knows exactly how shopping works!). My 2-year-old, on the other hand, already understands completely that Target is a magical place from which toys often come. I'm sure in some ways this is due to having an older sibling who is making him wise to the ways of the world!
Would she care if it weren't a Starbucks cup? What if it were a cup from the gas station, or from some fast-food joint? I haven't explored this with her, and I'm not sure I'm ready for the experiment! All I know is this...if I have it, she wants it.

(I could post another series of all of my kids holding my cell phone. I'm sure all of you could do the same.)

Maybe it's less about marketing and more about "being like the big people." Which is something that I know I need to remember all the time. Not only are my children little sponges, they are also little mirrors. Sometimes it's cute. But sometimes... darn it if I don't always like what I see! I know that if I start with myself, I will improve them too.

For the moment, I guess it's not so bad if she's interested in drinking coffee.

Right?

See more pictures and musings here.

14 comments:

Leora said...

Sweet. Little kids do like to mimic mama (or papa).

I have two children of my three that like coffee. My five-year-old likes a drop of my coffee mixed in with a lot of oat milk.

I make my coffee at home, so I don't have the branding cup experience.

Anonymous said...

We are surrounded by advertising that I don't think we can avoid it. It's what we do with it afterwards that's important.

My girls have an old "Starbooks" coffee cup in their play room. It' the desire to do what Mommy does especially since they can't do it yet. Oh, that's kinda scary.

Yael is just beautiful.

Kara said...

Yeah, I think it is all about wanting to be like you and be grown up. Starbucks is taking over the world......

Brittany said...

ah my kinda girl! Drink that starbucks!! :) CUTE photos!

Vered said...

She is SO So sweet.
And you know that I love the name Yael. :)

I think that sometimes they see us enjoying stuff and they want a piece of the action too.

mandaroo63 said...

well....caffeine is a drug...so I'm not anxious for my kids to try it, but I have to admit I'm rather addicted to it, and kids do eventually imitate all that we do. The key is talking about it (all the advertising) and making sure they understand the value of a dollar. just mho....

Megan said...

my younger one loves to sip my diet coke. i tell him it's not good for kids -- like it's good for adults??? cute pictures with or without the starbucks label :)!

Christina said...

Hehehe, so cute! I think you're right, it's really just about doing what mommy does, and being "big!"

Dawn said...

i like the questions you raise in this post, and i'd have to say what i thought as soon as i saw the first picture: she just wants to be like her mommy. so if you always have a generic soda can in your hand, she'll want it too.

Bunny said...

How cute! Mine always want to do things just like me...well, my son always wants to be just like Dad. It's adorable.

Maggie said...

That is too cute! And I can't believe how big your little one is getting -- sheesh!

Fingers To Toes Photography said...

Amen that starbucks is taking over our world LOL - I do think that they are right, little ones want to be like us - pure and simple!

Awesome shots!

Anonymous said...

No, nothing wrong with a little coffee! But, I would prefer tea! She's cute.

Anna Sawin said...

Yes, I think it is just about wanting to be like us--hopefully Yael will get your glorious locks! Looks like she is off to a great start. :)