Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Disappointed...


I know, I know, I'm not supposed to say things like this. (Which is, I suppose, a different post)

But I was really disappointed with the Walk With Israel on Sunday.

Granted, we missed the "rally" at the beginning. But that was because it took 20 minutes to park the bus and another 20 or so to get through security.

There wasn't really anyone along the walk route to tell us where to turn for the "family walk"...the only person who was really noticeable as a staffer was asking for tzedakah. Each participant signed a JUF pledge card before they came...and you're asking for spare change?

The news coverage was almost nil.

Someone told me that there were 12,000 people there. I didn't really get that impression. But maybe it's true...

Either way, I think that the "Walk with Israel" has lost its purpose, its steam. A nice stroll along the lake wearing a t-shirt with an Israeli flag is nice but doesn't really create connections with Israel.

I think it's time to do something big, to ask people to commit. Why not a 25 mile walk? Or a 60 mile bike ride? (I might not be physically up for it, but we could train right?) Or a big carnival/festival instead of a not-very-purposeful-or-worthwhile-walk...

Maybe American Jews aren't connecting with Israel because we're not making it real enough for them.

What are we going to do!?

That's my torah today. A bit muddled but still frustrated.

What's yours?

3 comments:

Robin said...

Why wouldn't you be able to say something like this? Of course you can. Rabbis are people too, you're entitled to have emotions and even, dare I say it, to voice them on occasion.

I remember doing the Walk for Israel in NYC each year. There was a sense of community, at least then, there, but if your walk doesn't have it anymore then I think shaking things up a bit is an excellent idea.

Maude Lynn said...

A big carnival / festival type of thing might offer more opportunities for education, etc. I think it's a great idea!

Another meshugannah mommy said...

Honestly, we didn't go this year because the whole thing was downtown. Had it been in the suburbs, we probably would have participated. I agree it is time for a new idea.