Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Activities for #TuBiShvat

How do you celebrate the Birthday of the Trees?
Here are some suggestions...

- Take a walk outside. Even if it's raining or snowing or cold or....whatever. Enjoy the fresh air and look at a few trees.

- Eat a tree fruit or nut. There's a tradition to hold a Tu BiShvat Seder but it's not necessary to make a big production of it! Just enjoy the products of a tree.

- Get a little silly. One year I made green pancakes. One year I made a tree-shaped challah. What can you do to honor trees? Is this the year that we color the milk green???


- Plant something. Parsley seeds, flower seeds, anything! It doesn't take much to plant something small. Supposedly if you start parsley now, you'll have enough for your Pesach seder. Give it a try!

- Read a book about trees. Try Grandpa and Me on Tu B'Shevat or A Tree is Nice.

- Do something for the earth. Turn off a light, pack your lunch, recycle a magazine. What new thing can you do to add to your efforts to be "green"?

What else does your family do to celebrate Tu BiShvat?

1 comment:

Herzblut said...

this my first Tu B'Shevat.....I was born but not raised jewish, and began to become observant last October. In November, my mother was killed in a fire: I have had a tree planted in a wood in England, in a place where she lived for a time and was very happy.

So I suppose it's a combination of honouring her memory(her ashes were just interred yesterday) and doing something for Tu B'Shevat. It's because of her that I am Jewish.

love from ALex in Scotland