Saturday, November 26, 2011

New Thanksgiving Tradition: Challah Turkey

Me: Guys, I'm going to make turkey challah for Shabbat. I'm so excited.
David: Ew, are you going to put turkey in the challah? That's disgusting.
Me: Yep, turkey in the challah. Doesn't that sound good?

I seriously had the kid going for a few minutes...then he realized that I, their vegetarian mama, was NOT putting turkey into my challah.

Instead...voila, a new tradition is born:

After all, the Shabbat after Thanksgiving is actually
Yom Sheni shel Thanksgiving...
(the Second Day of Thanksgiving)


Need advice: My challot do not have good definition of their shapes.
What am I doing wrong?

5 comments:

Batya said...

kcc for the post and your recipe, chodesh tov

Amanda said...

Is the dough itself really heavy and oily? Leigh Ann told me to flour the strands (or balls in this case) to help them stay defined. It happens a lot to me in the summer or if the dough is really sweaty because I'm cooking and the kitchen is warm. You might want to try cutting a little oil out?

Irene said...

I'd try to make the dough less moist- a tablespoon or two less water or more flour. Of course, you'll have to test this out to find the right ratio of water and flour. I bet that the family will not mind being tasters for you!

John Sklar said...

And it tasted good too. Solly loved it, didn't eat much else...

Rebecca Einstein Schorr said...

After all, the Shabbat after Thanksgiving is actually
Yom Sheni shel Thanksgiving...
(the Second Day of Thanksgiving)


This is SOOOOO true!!