Monday, November 7, 2011

Monday Matters: Mazon

This is a new series I'm starting here at Ima on and off the Bima.
Monday Matters will feature various causes and charitable organizations that I think are important. I don't have any affiliation with these organizations. For every comment on today's post, I'll give $1 to today's organization, Mazon: A Jewish Response to Hunger.

I am incredibly blessed.
I never have to make a choice between feeding my children and paying for electricity.
I never have to worry that my children are getting enough food.
I never have to worry that my children have enough nutrititive food.

In fact, my children have the freedom to be picky.
They have the freedom to bake cookies, and to have birthday cakes.
There is milk in the refrigerator, and vegetables in the crisper.

There are millions of people in America who don't have enough to eat.
The new term is "food insecure" and I can only imagine how scary it must be to worry and wonder where the next meal is, if the meal will have enough nutrition, if children are getting enough.

"In this world of abundance, there is no excuse for hunger."
Mazon means "food" in Hebrew. They are the national Jewish organization dedicated to the cause of hunger, through advocacy and education, partnership grants and strategic initiatives. There is a dual focus on the immediate need to provide food and the long-term need to find solutions to the greater problem of hunger in our country.

You can donate here, online. Why not send a donation today?

For every comment on this post, I'll give $1 to Mazon.
Do you want to participate in Monday Matters? Share a favorite organization in your own post!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel dared to comment, just to get your donation. It only seems fair that I'll donate a dollar to Mazon too. Our synagogue youth group does a food drive every year at this season for a local food pantry. A few years ago, we were told that it wasn't a good idea to have people bring bags of food to Yom Kippur services, just drop them off at other times - security concerns. Unfortunately, donations declined without the routine and symbolism to remind everyone. This only reminds me that individual action and support is important to keep organizations, like Mazon, operating and helping those who are hungry.

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful posting project. I couldn't agree more that it is wrong that in our increasingly small world we still battle issues of hunger. As Mazon is doing, we need to reach out to our fellow citizens, to look beyond ourselves every once in a while. Though our world is smaller in so many ways, it is also more secluded. Any ideas on how to put the concept of sharing our good fortune, and our food, with those in need into practice - to make it real for our children?

PS I LOVE the photo of your gorgeous children:)

Anonymous said...

My youth group just raised money for Mazon yesterday! Great idea for Monday Matters!!!

Anonymous said...

i

Anonymous said...

really

Anonymous said...

really

Anonymous said...

really

Anonymous said...

love

Anonymous said...

your

Anonymous said...

blog

Anonymous said...

read

Anonymous said...

it

Anonymous said...

all

Anonymous said...

time

Anonymous said...

;)

Amy said...

Never read your blog before, but this is a really great idea. It's only fair that I also go donate some money to Mazon (and I will!)

Anonymous said...

Mazon is the best! I often contribute, especially in honor of someone for a special occasion.

Anita Silvert Jewish Gems said...

It is a blessing to have enough in the fridge and more in the pantry. So, we are intentional about our food - we bless its existence, we're aware of what we put in our mouths, we elevate our nutrition to awareness of holiness. That's the ideal.
But in practice? We waste, we throw out, we dismiss our riches all too easily. Our resources are limited, even if it doesn't feel like they are.
May we start to pay attention again to what and when we eat - what's in season, how many resources did it take to bring in that strawberry in the middle of winter? What kind of packaging surrounds our food purchases? Can we use fewer "single use" sizes, and re-use our own containers?
Blessings come from awareness, and lead to greater awareness. Blessed are we to have our food.

Alden Solovy said...

This is a lovely idea. I may borrow it at some point. I will make a donation to Mazon and here's a link to a prayer I wrote called "Against Hunger:" http://tobendlight.com/2011/11/02/against-hunger/

Alden

Meagan said...

A great post, I'll be donating canned food to our company's food drive since you'll be donating $1 to Mazon for my comment.

I read your blog often, the Monday Matters series certainly sounds like a great idea and very true to you, as much as any stranger could observe online at least :)