Friday, August 1, 2008

Another Step Back

A few weeks back, I spoke in glowing terms about the step forward that the daughters of Zelophechad represented.

Now here we go backwards, just a little bit.

The rest of the clan
was a bit worried themselves
that land would be lost.

If girls can get land
that was their father's holding,
that is fine with us.

But what if they get
husbands from outside our tribe?
Then we would all lose.

Eventually
their land would end up in hands
outside of our tribe.

Mo made a ruling:
Daughters that inherit land
must marry tribesmen.

Just one restriction.
Does it really seem so fair?
Land over freedom.

What do you think?

See more Haiku Friday here.
Read more about this week's Torah portion here and here.

Shabbat Shalom!

3 comments:

Leora said...

Great poem. What do I think? I'm thinking there must have been a reason back then that it was important they marry from their own tribe. There was group social responsibility over individual desire. Interesting topic, once again I will try to learn more about the Daughters of Tzelophechad.

Anonymous said...

I like the way you summarize the parsha and add your own twist to the story. I was just wondering- do we really have to call Moshe "Mo"? It just feels disrespectful to me.

therapydoc said...

I love it. And honest, never would think to call the prophet Mo. But okay. Also, Mo(she) said that G-d commanded this. BiMidbar 36-6.