Monday, August 25, 2008

Where do trees go when they die?

It's hard to believe that school begins on Tuesday. It's hard to believe that the summer has flown by. Every year, I tell myself that I'm going to use the month of August in productive ways, I'm going to prepare for school, for the High Holy Days, for the fall. But each year, August seems like the shortest month. It always seems to end suddenly.

I spent the last week hanging out with my kids while my husband attended his summer camp reunion out east. I tried to have fun with them and celebrate our time together (even though I was stressing mightily about what wasn't getting done on that long to do list of mine!) and we visited my parents in Milwaukee a little bit as well.

My parents have this great birch tree that, in my opinion, is the perfect place for pictures. I've taken pictures of David near this tree, but this year I got Sam to hang out around the tree for my picture-taking pleasure. (Not so Yael, she was completely uninterested in the tree.)




My father decided to show Sam the tree stump on the other side of the yard. He explained to him that the tree died. Sammy was fascinated by this idea that there once was a tree, but now it was gone. He sat on the tree stump, he stood on the tree stump, he dug around in the tree stump....he showed Yael, he showed me...


He kept saying "the tree died here."
I asked him, "Sam, where did the tree go when it died?"

Silly ima.

His answer?

"To work."



See more best shots over here at Tracy's place.

What did you do this weekend?

--

Don't forget to check out this week's Haveil Havalim. Lots of great round up of the JBlog Convention!

15 comments:

iMother2.0 said...

What a sweet stump...I never expected to say that in a comment :) I love how your son was so intrigued by it. Love the birch as well. You have lovely children :)

Megan said...

LOL. out of the mouths of babes :). great tree!

Anonymous said...

The work that is never ceasing!

Marie Rayner said...

Great entry and I loved his answer! What lovely children you have.

Sara said...

We had cedar trees by our old house in WI that allowed for great framing of the kids, too. It's fun to see what they'll do while you can snap away on your camera! Such cute kids-I hope their transition back to school will be easy on them and provide a chance for you to get caught up a bit.

Christina said...

To work?! Now that's hilarious! The birch tree does make a great spot for portraits!

Rose said...

Laughing!! I love their imagination! What a beautiful yard.

Robin said...

But of course. You didn't think it would go to the movies, did you?

I love that second photo, such a sweet moment.

Jen said...

That is really funny. He must think work is really bad. Cute photos.

Killlashandra said...

I like the thought the cut down tree went to work. :) Such great kid logic. And trees make the best places to play too. Nice shots.

Anonymous said...

Ah the things children say! He looks like he loves to play in that tree, and thats always a good time for pictures!

Maggie said...

That is too funny! And look how big your little cuties have gotten - WOW!

Blueberry said...

to work, huh? ;)

great pictures- love the one of him on the stump!

Leora said...

I had a birch tree in my front yard when I was a kid. I like your son's attachment to trees. It's sweet.

Miriam said...

LOVE IT! Hope the transition to school is easy on everyone!