Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thanksgiving Rituals

There is one week to go until Thanksgiving!

A few years ago, our family started to do a Thanksgiving Seder, a retake on the Passover Seder. Much like Passover, this is a holiday whose primary ritual centers on a meal. There isn't, however, a set liturgy for the Thanksgiving meal...and that's where I come in. I've made some changes and additions to the Seder my family has used for a number of years. My own kids are, as you know, pretty young, so I've decided to create 2 different documents. The first is here today, for your viewing and downloading pleasure, for families with small children. Hopefully I will have the second soon, with more readings and opportunities for discussion with a more mature crowd.

Thanksgiving Seder for Families with Small Children

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this ritual and how you might incorporate it into your family's Thanksgiving traditions.

Happy Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

Batya said...

In the 38 years since we left the states, we've had one Thanksgiving Dinner.
As an Israeli, I'm thankful for what I have here. OK, there's also lots to kvetch about.
In the states, it was an enormous family event in a tiny Brooklyn apartment. I miss my aunts, uncles and cousins. Many are now dead and few get together in the large Long Island home where it's now held.

Rabbi Yair Robinson said...

I remember you telling us about this in rabbinic school. What a great ritual! I can see it being especially helpful in preschool and younger religious school grades in showing the connection between Judaism and Thanksgiving, or if the congregation hosts some king of ecumenical Thanksgiving meal and wants to give it a Jewish flavor, but also for families who want the same thing.