Tuesday, November 18, 2008

I ♥ to read

I don't know if you've ever looked to the left on my blog, down near the bottom. Go ahead, I'll wait while you look and then come back.

Saw it? I'm referring to the list of books I've read in 2008. So far, 74. Not bad for a mom of 3 with a full-time job, ya think?

Back in January, I made a list of 101 things to do in 1001 days. I tried to think of things I've always wanted to to do but never did. I love to read. I mean, I really love it. I am never without a book to read, sometimes I'm reading two at once! I've never kept track of what I read. I really wish I had a list dating back from the beginning....

I remember the day my mom brought my first "chapter book" home from the library. It was B is for Betsy, a book originally published in 1939. (They've been recently re-released, although never out of print, with pretty new covers.) I remember sitting in the living room of our house when she walked in from work with the book. I remember how excited she was to share it with me, to welcome me into the Club of Readers.

And I remember learning my way around our local public library, and discovering that Carolyn Haywood had written a lot of books. I can still visualize the shelf at the library where I found them. When I finished the Haywood books, I moved onto the rest of the library. I would search the shelves for long series, for thick books, for interesting titles. I read my way through most of the children's department and then joined my mom in the fiction section, discovering authors like Jean Plaidy (then my mom's favorite) and learning to love historical fiction among other genres. Go back and look through my list -- you'll see a very varied list!

I really wish this post was the launch of a new blog. I'm really dying to write a blog called The Reading Rabbi. I have even saved the URL with Blogger. But I just don't have the time right now. I just have to enjoy reading and occasionally sharing the books I read with you all! (And the book discussions we do at the synagogue.)

I just finished The Search Committee by Marc Angel. It was excellent - a great look into the Orthodox Yeshiva world. If you are interested in buying it, consider clicking over to my new Amazon Affiliates shop.

Not that I don't have anything to read, but if you have a great book for me, please share!

9 comments:

Another meshugannah mommy said...

Those Who Save Us
A Fine Balance
The Time-Traveller's Wife
Joy Comes in the Morning
The New Rabbi
Peony


I always get my reading suggestions from GoodReads.com

orenhayon said...

Right now I'm reading Daniel Mendelsohn's "The Lost," and it's remarkable. Try it!

Sara said...

I have only recently rediscovered my love of reading. My problem is once I have a good book, I don't want to put it down; not for sleep or for being a mom. So, for me, it's got to be all about balance. Also, when we go to the library, the boys give me about 5 minutes to find my own book before I'm stuck in the children's section. If I were better prepared, I'd have books held for me on reserve. Either way, I'm thrilled to be back reading again. I'll have to refer to your blog for more ideas on great titles.

Phyllis Sommer said...

sara - that's exactly what i do - i use amazon and our library's website to put the books i want on hold...it works great!

Robin said...

Have you read Disobedience by Naomi Alderman? Excellent read and a thought-provoking story of a woman, an Orthodox (read: Haredi) rabbi's daughter as she's caught between two worlds.

The Comic Torah said...

wow, impressive list! I've.... um.... listened to a lot of book reviews on NPR.

Unknown said...

If you have not read Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson, you are really missing an amazing book! It is a true story about the discovery of a German Uboat off the New Jersey shore. It is incredible! I don't think of that genre as something I would enjoy, but I could not put it down! I then passed it along to many others and they had the same reaction. It was on the NY Times best seller list and the movie is in process.

SuperRaizy said...

B is for Betsy was the first chapter book that I ever read also!

Anonymous said...

OMG I never knew anyone else who had read the President's Daughter and White House Autumn. I KNEW we were meant to be friends!!!!!

Since I fell ill last month, I have been unable to read. I have never gone this long without reading. I know that it is just a temporary side effect...but it makes me so sad.