Sunday, November 25, 2012

{36reasons} New Shoes

When we began to discuss this project, one of the suggestions was made that I take up a new sport:

Running.

Now, let's be clear. I don't mind exercise. But I've never been much for running.
(Unless I'm being chased...)

Still, the thought of being able to lace up my shoes and just...go....does have its appeal.

So I agreed that perhaps running could be a part of my 36 reasons to say shehecheyanu.

And like my daughter, I'm always excited for new accessories.

So shoes it is.

Tricia took me to her favorite running store today and we picked out a cute pair.

Okay, in truth, we picked out the right pair. As she explained to me, it's more about form than function.

But with all these beautiful options....can't a girl dream about pretty colors and shiny laces?!

 I wore pretty socks for the occasion.
And here they are!
You'll have to wait for part 2 of this post (in days to come) to see the actual new kicks.
Cuz I'm hitting the road....

Are you a runner? What's your best advice for me....!?

Blessed are You, O God, Ruler of the World, who has granted me the ability to purchase even when I'm not in need, and who has given me friends to encourage my endeavors, and who has brought me to this day.

1 comment:

Debra Kassoff said...

Mazal tov, Phyl!

Advice:
Since you're impossibly self-motivated, you can probably skip what is my essential first step: find someone who will run with you at times you like to run. But you might not want to skip it, because running's much more fun that way.

Second, start slow. Set modest goals. Or hardly any goals at all. Say you're going to go one mile the first time, or half a mile. Whatever. Walk as much as (or more than) you run. Walk whenever anything starts to hurt, and start running again when you feel better. If you go out regularly, you'll start to run longer segments each time without even thinking about it. Before you know it, you'll be saying to yourself, "Hey, this three mile run doesn't feel bad at all. Maybe I should sign up for a 5k." So then you grab a friend and do it! And then you keep running, and who knows, you might find yourself one of these days at the starting line of the Chicago Marathon. (That's how I did it.) Or not. Maybe you have no desire to give your body the pounding that a marathon is, so you just keep going out with your running buddy and pretty soon you find that you're exceptionally strong and fit.

The most important thing, I think (some, including my sister-in-law, differ with me on this point), is to have fun! Unless you are determined (as is my impressive and beloved sister-in-law) to become a triathlete, there are too many other good ways to exercise to bother with running unless you enjoy it--not only the feeling you get after you stop, but while you're doing it, too.