Thursday, November 22, 2012

#36Reasons - Thanksgiving

Today is 36 days until my 36th birthday.
For the next thirty-six days, I will be seeking out a daily reason to say the Shehecheyanu blessing, a blessing said for new or unique experiences. 

Today is Thanksgiving.
Each year, we say this blessing to thank God for enabling us to be together, to celebrate, to be thankful on the day of giving thanks.

There are many people who would object to this custom. "Thanksgiving isn't a Jewish holiday!" I've been told.

It might not be a strictly Jewish holiday, of course, but what could be better...a holiday celebrating gratitude and giving. A holiday that asks us to count our blessings and feel contentment with what we have. And of course, there's a big family meal involved. As an American Jew, I'm so pleased to be able to be a part of this American AND Jewish custom.

And so each year we say shehecheyanu.

This year I have so much to be thankful for. I can't even begin to enumerate all the things that fill my life with such blessing. I can only say, simply, "thank You."

Blessed are You, our God, Ruler of the World, who has created us with hearts open to gratitude, formed us with the ability to be aware of our blessings, and brought us to a day in which we can celebrate those blessings.

This year, we embarked on what we hope will be a new family tradition. Read about it here.


No comments: