Tuesday, November 27, 2012

{36 reasons} Mitzvah Baking

One of my plans for Tuesdays during this project was to try out new recipes.
Except...yesterday, my kids came home with a flyer about a project that our school and community are doing to honor the local military servicemen and women. They wanted desserts.

And of course, David says, "so, what are we going to make?"

How does a mama say no to that?!
I guided him to choose our tried-and-true brownie recipe*, pointing out that we know how it comes out and how much it will yield.

And so we baked brownies tonight. Two large batches. David did a lot of the work.

At first I wasn't even going to write about this. Does it fit as a "shehecheyanu moment"? I might be thinking a little loosely here, but there were many pieces of it that gave me pause for blessing.

1. David automatically assumed that we would participate in this kind of philanthropic event.
2. We had all the supplies on hand in our well-stocked pantry.
3. David has the skills and ability to put together a brownie recipe.
4. I was able to teach him new skills in the baking process.

Blessed are You, O God, who gives us the ability to give in so many ways, who fills our lives with plenty and allows us to share it, who gives me the joy of sharing my passions with my children, and who has brought me to this day.

*Tried-and-True Favorite Sommer Brownie Recipe is the "On The Fence Brownies" from the King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion. The link takes you to a recipe on their blog that is almost the same - with the addition of espresso powder. I don't use the espresso.

2 comments:

Jewaicious said...

What a sweet (no pun intended) post. I love the fact that your son assumed he would participate, with your help. The knowing, the trust, the faith, it is so lovely.

Rebecca Einstein Schorr said...

I love this for all the reasons that you mentioned. And yes, it is totally Shehecheyanu-worthy.