Wednesday, August 1, 2007

This is what I'm scared of...

I admit it. I'm terrified of being the mom of a girl. There, I've said it. It's scary enough to be the mom of boys, but I really do believe that it's going to be harder for me with the girl. How can I make sure that she grows up self-confident, independent, and filled with comfort with her body and her being? It does seem like this is going to be a difficult task for me with all the noise of society around us telling her, perhaps, that she is too fat or too thin, too short or too tall, too curly or too straight...oh how I hope not.

Read this beautiful essay from the San Francisco Chronicle to read one mom's struggle with her 5-year-old's first question about her weight.
(This is not to imply that I don't want to raise self-confident, independent, and body-happy young men as well. I just feel that by and large this will be a little easier. I do know, however, how scary it is out there for boys as well as girls. Eating disorder statistics for young men are on the rise as boys are also being pressured by the same media barrage that the young women are. Either way, my most important job is rearing my brood...and damn if it doesn't scare the pants off of me.)

1 comment:

John Sklar said...

I managed one of each, I think. I'm open for questions. The real truth is don't ever dodge truth and honesty. (Also don't expect them to ask the good questions until they have kids of their own.)

The joke is that when someone asks how they look there is no right answer but... I bet there is. If all the answers are honest and filled with love then you get more questions and more chances to be honest and full of love...