Wednesday, May 31, 2023

May Books #MyLifeInBooks

 

Romantic Comedy by Curtis Sittenfeld - Loved this romcom that took off on the idea of the writers' room at SNL (well, a fictionalized SNL) and then moved over into those first scary days of covid isolation. Couldn't put it down!

All of Us Villains by Foody and Herman - a YA novel similar to Hunger Games, with a magical element. Did not love that it is a "duology" because I'm not sure that I need to read the next book! A little gory for me. 

Queen Charlotte by Julia Quinn and Shonda Rhimes - If you watched the show, this is SO boring. If you haven't watched the show, skip the read and just watch! There was almost no new information gleaned here that wasn't in the show. 

We Set the Dark on Fire by Tehlor Mejia - This was on my holds list forever! It's a dystopian-type novel about a Handmaid's Tale-like society with strict roles and rules. I wanted to love this but it was a little too...simplistic in some of its telling. (Also this is YA)

Black Cake by Charmaine Wilkerson - One of the best books I've read all year. WOW. What an incredible back-and-forth telling of a family secret - I loved every minute of this book. 

The Secret Book of Flora Lea by Patti Henry - I really liked this story of two sisters evacuated from London during the Blitz, and the family mystery that it left behind. I liked the plot twist!

The Red Balcony by Jonathan Wilson - 1933 Palestine doesn't have a lot of fiction written about it! The plot was a little tricky to follow but I loved the historical setting and the writing was compelling.

January Books
February Books
March Books
April Books

No comments: