Thursday, February 19, 2009

Some Favorite Jewish Blogs

You may have noticed (if you're a regular reader - hi to all 6 of you!) that I often reference my dad. He's a great guy - and he happens to be a teacher of teachers. His current projects involve helping the Jewish educators in Milwaukee better use Web 2.0. Go see his really cute presentation at his blog. How many of you can say that your dad has a blog!? (You'll learn something too - about carbon paper.)

Anyway, so in his presentation, he shared this list of Jewish blogs that he felt was a "smattering" (his word), or, as he called it, a Jewish Blog Sampler. You'll note, ahem, that I was not initially the first on his list. We'll forgive him, right Loyal Readers? (plus there are some old links there, sorry dad.)

In response to his list, I hereby present some of my favorite Jewish blogs, the ones I like best and the ones I consider to be most useful and most interesting to me and hopefully to you as well. I've posted lists of blogs before, but considering how ever-changing the J-blogosphere is, it never hurts to post again. I think this list is best for people who are new to blogging, reading blogs, etc, or looking to use the blogosphere to teach and learn about Jewish life. If I left you out, it doesn't mean I don't love reading your blog! I picked here the best "Jewish" blogs in whatever way I wanted to define it today....

Organizations and Institutions...Some from the New Jewish Media...
Reform Judaism blog
Mixed Multitudes, the blog of MyJewishLearning.com
Jewish Outreach Institute
The Jew and the Carrot, the blog of Hazon
Jewlicious
Jewschool
jewcy.com
G-dCast

People - some in Israel, some in other places...
A Soldier's Mother
The Muqata
Ahava Ariel
Mah Rabu
FrumeSarah
Here in HP
Ilana-Davita
JewWishes
JugglingFrogs
Or Am I?
Around the Island
I'll Call Baila

There are so many other blogs to read! I currently have 324 subscriptions in my Google Reader, but I know that some of them are dead links, some are very rarely used. So if you break that down to about 300 blogs...and probably 100 of them are Jewish-themed. (I do read/do not just Jewish stuff sometimes!)

Probably the best thing to do is find and regularly read Haveil Havalim, the Jewish Blog Carnival. A blog carnival is a "roundup" of posts, usually submitted by the authors, to a weekly post that rotates from blog to blog. How can you find out where Haveil Havalim is this week (or next or whenever....it comes out on Sundays)? Well, you can subscribe to my blog, since I almost always link into it. You can also join the Haveil Havalim group on Facebook to get a notification when the new edition comes out. It's a great way to see what's going on. It's also pretty incredible, in my opinion, because the compilation and mixture of blogs is amazing -- secular, religious, Orthodox, Reform -- you name it, it's included in Haveil Havalim. We probably wouldn't all be able to sit down to a meal together but we can all co-exist in friendly harmony here in the blogosphere!

What are your favorite blogs? And if you're new around here, feel free to leave a comment to say hi...and subscribe to my blog to get regular information and updates!

Shabbat Shalom y'all!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

"How many of you can say that your dad has a blog!?"

I can go you one better. Not only does my mother blog, so does my grandfather! ;)

mother in israel said...

Or Am I seems to be linked incorrectly.
"We probably wouldn't all be able to sit down to a meal together"
You underestimate us! I didn't miss your visit, did I?

Scribbit said...

I love Robin's blog--I've always enjoyed the expat blogs but hers is particularly good.

Becca said...

I can't wait to check out your list of all the Jewish blogs. My dad...doesn't even own a computer! But my mom is a better blogger than I could ever dream of being!

Anonymous said...

I read many of the same blogs as you do, as you know.

Thank you for linking me!

Leora said...

Thank you for including me!

I liked how you picked Juggling Frogs; do you think maybe she will update again soon? A nudge? ;-)

I will have to check the (very few) blogs you have there that I don't yet read. My Google Reader is out of control. I don't know how political bloggers can write 20 posts in one day.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for linking to my blog. Hope you're having a great time. And you're right about dads and blogs; mine doesn't have one!

Jameel @ The Muqata said...

todah rabba for the blog link :-)

Regards from Israel...

Jameel.