Monday, February 23, 2009

On our way!

We're on our way to Eretz Yisrael. My colleague, Paul Kipnes (rabbipaul.blogspot.com) calls this Aliyat haNefesh - a going-up of the soul. I do feel that the chance to reconnect with the land and people of Israel refreshes and rejuvenates me. To be able to travel to Israel regularly is one of the best parts of the rabbinate!

This time, the trip holds a special significance. My husband proposed to me in Israel about 2 hours before the end of our Year in Israel program (literally - as we were waiting for our taxi to the airport!) just about 10 years ago. We left Israel engaged but haven't returned together to the country since. (We've each been separately.) Three kids later, we travel together to make this journey today! I am beside myself with delight.

Also, we are going to be attending the annual convention of the Central Conference of American Rabbis, our professional organization. Three hundred friends and colleagues will be there with us and I can't wait to see old friends and catch up with them.

Truly, my travel cup runneth over today as I type this at O'Hare airport....see ya in the Holy Land!

9 comments:

Renee Nefe said...

Have a great trip! Our Youth Pastor went there last year and showed us his pictures. It was an inspiring trip.

Anonymous said...

Have a safe and wonderful trip! Be well.

I look forward to your thoughts on your trip.

Anonymous said...

Have a safe and lovely trip and keep us informed.

Marci said...

See you soon!!! It will be so much fun to see you guys here. I wish you a safe journey - n'siah tovah!

BZ said...

See you there!

His Office, My Studio said...

Have a safe trip!!! I am planning on meeting you when you get home.
Debbi your KP sister.

John Sklar said...

Have fun, we are enjoying the kids...

SuperRaizy said...

How wonderful for you! I hope you have a wonderful time!

Robin said...

Safe trip Phyllis, call me if you're going to have some time. (My craziness will hopefully be over by Thursday afternoon.)