Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Dispatches from Camp: A Little Bit Artsy

As I've written before in previous years, I have the honor of serving as faculty at Olin-Sang-Ruby Union Institute in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin. I spend 2 weeks each summer working with the campers and staff to create the most amazing living Jewish environment. We are so blessed to be able to come to camp as a family - my kids love to be here. I must admit that Solly is a bit of a distraction everywhere I take him...

This year I'm working with a group called Tiferet. This is OSRUI's arts unit - the campers in this group spend a good chunk of each day in their "Studio" groups - drama, visual arts, music or dance (in addition to all the other camp activities like swimming, sports and rest time...). Many of the traditions in Tiferet are unique and creative.

Like their Beit Tefillah, which consists of a lot of stumps to sit on. The Tiferet campers have even painted canvas "stump covers" that they bring out for each service.

Ah...camp.

For my first day, I hung around to check out the studio activities. Here are some of the campers' work:



More to come...

1 comment:

Alef Bet Jewelry said...

Today I took my daughter to Jewish camp in Los Angeles, and I was thinking how lucky to be Ima camp mom for a bit! To become a kid again and to see pure joy! You are lucky!