Thursday, August 31, 2023

August 2023 books #MyLifeInBooks

 

Fourth Wing by Rebecca Yarros - This has been on the top of the best seller lists and I haven't read a lot of fantasty lately. This one was great - it reminded me of the Dragonriders of Pern books (loved those) with a nice dose of romance. The world-building was interesting but a little uneven (it bothered me that they used our swear words - I like when a fantasy book comes up with swear words that fit with the culture) but overall, I look forward to the sequel!

Hotel Cuba by Aaron Hamburger - A good twist on the immigrant tale, featuring a pair of sisters who end up going to Cuba instead of the USA when leaving Russia. The way that Cuba imprints differently on them, and how the Jewish community in both Cuba and the US help them to land with their older sister - a well-told and interesting read. 

Wisteria Society of Lady Scoundrels by India Holton - A ridiculous and fun fantasy-historical romance. If that sentence piques your interest, this book is for you. It was both silly and delightful. 

Weyward by Emilia Hart - Slightly magical tale of three generations of women and the way that they each survive abusive relationships. A powerful story, but it was a hard book to read because of the subject matter.

The Celebrants by Steven Rowley - I wanted to love this book but I just found it a little confusing and disjointed. I didn't quite get how all the pieces came together and ultimately, it didn't work for me. 

The Donut Fix by Jesse Janowitz - A sweet middle-grade story about a kid who moves from NYC to a small town and decides to start a donut business. Enjoyable, but could someone please explain to me why this was a PJ Our Way selection? I missed any Jewish content in this book.

The Blonde Identity by Ally Carter - This book didn't quite know what it wanted to be - it was a mashup of a spy novel with a romance novel, and I'm not sure that either story really held up. But I did keep reading and I didn't hate it. 

Kissing Kosher by Jean Meltzer - I loved this one. Such a fun read, the story of a kosher bakery and its cross-the-street rival; enemies-to-lovers with a few interesting twists relating to chronic illness. And the rabbi! Oy! I couldn't stop reading and I giggled with all the Jewish and baking puns. (We won't talk about the one glaring "full moon on Rosh Chodesh" gaffe though, right?)

What are you reading?

January Books
February Books
March Books
April Books
May Books
June Books
July Books

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rabbi Phyllis, Hotel Cuba is written by Daniel's brother! The story is about Daniel's grandmother, so she is the great grandmother of all of our children you have bar mitzvahed!!