Sunday, November 15, 2009

Haveil Havalim #243: the NaBloPoMo Edition

(It could have been the hashtag edition, as in, the hashtags from the conventions like #urjbiennial and #ga09 but I decided to let that go...)

haveil havalim


I took a little heat for not giving the last edition that I hosted a number. It was totally inadvertent! I was in a big hurry and forgot to check the number. I won't make that mistake again!

What's going on here today?
Founded by Soccer Dad, Haveil Havalim is a carnival of Jewish blogs -- a weekly collection of Jewish & Israeli blog highlights, tidbits and points of interest collected from blogs all around the world. It's hosted by different bloggers each week and coordinated by Jack. The term 'Haveil Havalim,' which means "Vanity of Vanities," is from Qoheleth, (Ecclesiastes) which was written by King Solomon. King Solomon built the Holy Temple in Jerusalem and later on got all bogged down in materialism and other 'excesses' and realized that it was nothing but 'hevel,' or in English, 'vanity.'
Please please please publicize HH on your own blog and share the news about it!

Funny Things...good to start with a laugh

Conversations in Klal laughs at The Words We Use when talking about frum dating.

Benji Lovitt has new Israel tourist t-shirts to replace the old ones: It's Benji Lovitt's Funny Israeli T-Shirts! Take That, Dorky Ben-Yehuda Stores! 

Israel and the Jewish World

rutimizrachi offers fiction: End Of Days Scenario (from her son)
How to Be Israeli shares You are more Lebanese than you think... This post is the comments that a Jewish student studying in Beirut left on her blog -- Israeli and Lebanese cultures have a lot in common. She also offers up Aliyah after the honeymoon..., comparing aliyah to marriage.

Judaism and Torah

Schvach Yid wonders: Who cares if Mahmoud is Jewish?

N and aml wants to know: What did Avraham buy? 
Yechezkel shares some encoded words with Mitzvos Hatluyos BaAretz.

Miriam taught her triplets about Avraham Avenu and Sarah Imenu (and by the way, she's starting a new cooking carnival this Tuesday...)

Miscellaneous

Eliyahu Fink watched The Good Wife: Unorthodox, From a Rabbi / Law Student Perspective - great summary of why this episode needed a little patching up.

Isramom offers us Do you believe in miracles? - it's a wonderful Veteran's Day story.
Elms in the Yard was a film extra! Quiet on the Set! 
Chaviva presents Chavi Goes to the Beth Din: The First Meeting She says: "I share my experiences from going to the beth din for the first time. This was my first meeting with them, prior to mikvah and everything therein. Now I'm waiting on pins and needles to hear back from them." Good luck, Chavi!

me-ander shares The Latest in Home Renovations, which isn't about home renovations really, but about honoring parents.
The Home-Shuler put up a Jewish Mama Meme and some people responded like me, Miriam, Edible Torah, Ima Shalom, RonyPony, Sarah...anyone else?

The Creative Jewish Mom made these cool recycled coasters.
I went to the URJ Biennial and got famous.
Robin posted this gorgeous picture.

And the title - in case you're not following anyone who is participating in NaBloPoMo, November is National Blog Posting Month, a challenge to post daily throughout the month. I'm doing it, FrumeSarah is too. Marci is doing it and I know that Miriam is too. MomInIsrael and IlanaDavita were doing it too! Leora, are you doing it? I can't remember. Did I miss anyone? My apologies - let me know and I'll add you in. The hardest part of NaBloPoMo for me is that there are so many posts to read as well as writing one each day!



That's all for this week's Haveil Havalim! Please link up so lots of people can share the Haveil Havalim fun...



Who's next?

12 comments:

Lady-Light said...

Forgot to submit a post again! Is is too late? Here are two links, if you can squeeze them in...
http://lady-light.blogspot.com/2009/11/nation-of-palestine-merely-myth.html

http://lady-light.blogspot.com/2009/11/even-idf-isnt-perfect.html

Religion and State in Israel said...

Thanks for your work on HH!

Joel
Religion and State in Israel
@religion_state

Robin said...

Thanks for linking to my leaf photo Phyllis, I have to admit I'm pretty darn pleased with it :).

PS I'm doing NaBloPoMo too. Day 15 and so far so good.

Risa Tzohar said...

Thank you so much for the kind words and the link!

mother in israel said...

I'm next! Any tips?

Leora said...

No, I didn't sign up for NaBloPoMo, though I probably could have, easily. I'm such a blogger addict.

I am doing your holiday meme:
Jewish Holiday Meme

YMedad said...

Always busy, (trying to keep up with the Missues). Thanks for my inclusions

Mrs. S. said...

Well done!

Thanks for the link, and have a great week.

Baila said...

Great job! And I'm also doing NaBloPoMo--would it be cheating if my link to your HH was today's post? ;-)

Chaviva Gordon-Bennett said...

Todah rabbah Ima!

Jack Steiner said...

Yaasher koach.

Maya / מיה said...

Thanks for including me! Great edition!