Sunday, November 1, 2009

Pumpkin Waffles...Mmm!!!

Do you ever get a little taste of something and then really want some all for yourself?

The preschool cooking class in our synagogue made pumpkin waffles last week and I got a little sample.

It was only one bite.

Since then, I've been contemplating pumpkin waffles, and finally I made some...what's the end of October without something pumpkiny?

I used this recipe with one minor edit.

Spiced Pumpkin Waffles
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I used whole-wheat pastry flour, a great substitute)
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground ginger (only had a little sprinkle left in the bottom of the bottle...)
1 pinch salt
2 eggs (I used egg substitute, we were almost out of eggs)
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1 2/3 cups milk
4 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled

Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt in large bowl. In a second bowl, add eggs, sugar, pumpkin, milk, and butter; beat well. Gently fold in the flour mixture. Spoon in about 3/4 cup of batter into the waffle iron. Cook each waffle for 4-5 minutes.

They turned out beautifully and deliciously:


And yes, this kid eats breakfast every morning while reading the newspaper. He reads the comics, the weather, and checks out the Jumble game. Occasionally he asks me about headlines and I encourage him to read the article but he hasn't taken me up on it yet. Still, I think it's wonderful and adorable. (Even though I hate to share my newspaper with anyone, even my husband and children!)

But I digress from the waffles. I need some cooking advice. The first 4 or 5 waffles came out perfectly. I used lots of nonstick spray, and nothing stuck at all. My waffle iron has a sensor that tells you when they're done, and it worked great. Then everything went downhill - they started to stick! Same batch, same waffle iron, same non-stick spray. What happened!? I thought maybe it got too hot, so eventually I turned off the iron to let it sit for a while, tried again, and it still stuck (maybe I didn't cool it off enough?)...okay, so what do you think? Usually it's the first one that gets all messed up but I figured after 4 or 5 perfect waffles, I was home free. Let me know what you think, please.

It's the beginning of NaBloPoMo...so here I go!

2 comments:

Jew Wishes said...

I bet they taste fantastic! Why not!

Anonymous said...

I'd never have the courage to make these but they look wonderful.