Thursday, August 22, 2013

#blogElul 16: change

Change is SO hard.
It's hard for me, it's hard for my kids.
I remember when I first learned some parenting techniques, way back in the early days of my first baby...I remember that there was so much about the importance of "transitions."

No kidding.

Transitions are hard for the kids and hey, they're hard for the adults!
Judaism is so very good at providing ritual for smoothing over traditions.

Look at Elul! It's a whole month to get us ready for a new year.
But it's not just that. Our rituals for birth and life and death all take into account the normal human inclination to resist change.

I'm so very grateful for these transition rituals, which guide my life and help me to find blessing even in moments that seem stressful and ordinary. 

P.S. in honor of "change," I've changed the header on my blog!

The Jewish month of Elul, which precedes the High Holy Days, is traditionally a time of renewal and reflection. It offers a chance for spiritual preparation for the Days of Awe. It is traditional to begin one’s preparation for the High Holy Days during this month with the Selichot, the prayers of forgiveness. We look to begin the year with a clean slate, starting anew, refreshed. All month, along with others, I'll be blogging a thought or two for each day to help with the month of preparation... I will be blogging here, and sharing #Elulgram photos on the same themes at imabima.tumblr.com. Follow me on twitter @imabima for all the #BlogElul posts, not only mine but others' as well! This year, I'm not doing a linky or anything like that -- I'm conserving energy! So be sure to tag your posts on Twitter and Facebook so I can catch them with my alerts....

No comments: