Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Tasty Tuesday - Squash Mushroom Soup

Curried Squash and Mushroom Soup...

adapted from Mollie Katzen's Moosewood Cookbook, one of my favorites! The adapted part is that I use the frozen squash, which makes this very easy to prepare. I bet you could make it with canned pumpkin, too. The original recipe called for squash to be baked and pureed. This is much easier.

2 boxes of frozen cooked winter squash
2 1/2 cups water or stock
1 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons margarine
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 medium clove garlic -- crushed
6 ounces mushrooms -- sliced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
dash cayenne
fresh lemon juice -- optional
chopped toasted almonds -- for garnish

Defrost the puree. Combine in a kettle or saucepan with the orange juice and stock.
Heat the butter in a skillet and add the garlic, onion, salt and spices. Saute until the onion is very soft. (You may need to add a little water if it sticks.) Add mushrooms, cover, and cook 10 minutes. Add the saute to the squash, scraping the skillet well to salvage all the good stuff.
Heat everything together very gently.
Taste to correct seasoning.
You may want more cayenne or salt.
And, since this is a fairly sweet soup, you may want to spruce it up with some fresh-squeezed lemon juice.
Serve topped with yogurt and chopped, toasted almonds.
(Note, this soup need not be served immediately. It can simmer a while and the flavors will mature.)
See more recipes at the Crazy Hip Blog Mamas' Recipe Rally...

5 comments:

Maude Lynn said...

I think that I've had something similar to this before. I'll give it a shot!

The Egel Nest said...

Since I cannot stand anything having to do with mushrooms...I will say this...I love your new blog style and the adjustments you have made :)

Well Done!


Bradley
The Egel Nest

Robin said...

I haven't made that soup in ages, and I was just looking for a good fall-themed recipe for this week's girls night in. This might be just the thing.

Love the new look btw.

Phyllis Sommer said...

It's actually pretty good without mushrooms too, although more of a squashy puree type soup, then. the mushrooms add a bit of texture.

thanks for the comments on my new template. i'm still working on it...

Anonymous said...

Sounds great except for the I'm Completely Allergic to SQUASH Thing. I have passed it along to my mother who will, no doubt, enjoy it.
Lovin' the site. Keep it up!