Friday, September 30, 2022

September Books I Read #MyLifeInBooks

Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin - I loved this book - the characters, the storyline, the nuance...it was really a wonderful combination. There was a smidge of Jewish-element in this story (Sadie meets Sam because of her Bat Mitzvah!) but it wasn't interesting or deep enough. Other people have said this was the best book of the year, and while I really loved it, I did think it was a bit too long and so therefore it's good but not my favorite!

The Final Gambit by Jennifer Lynne Barnes I'm not always a completionist, but I really wanted to see how this trilogy ended. I thought this one was better than the second, and I liked how it all wrapped up. 

Other Birds by Sarah Addison Allen She is one of my favorite authors, and it's been quite a while since she's written a new book! This one did not disappoint - I love the blend of magical realism and real life in this story about love and grief and chosen family. 

Thread Collectors by Shauna Edwards and Alyson Richman - what a unique story of the Civil War from two perspectives - Jewish and Black. I really appreciated these stories and how they wove together. There's some interesting stuff here about these two authors, too, as they both drew on their own family stories to collaborate on this book. 

My Fine Fellow by Jennieke Cohen - Such a fun gender-swapped My Fair Lady story, with a twist that Elijah Little (ya know, Eliza Dolittle) is Jewish to boot. It's also an alternate timeline history, which is a little steampunk and a lot of fun. Maybe a smidge too long, but I liked it overall. 

Shmutz by Felicia Berliner - Super provocative cover but the story itself was sad and dark, without a lot of redemption. I definitely didn't understand the goal of this book and the ending confused me a little bit. I don't really recommend this one. 

Love and Saffron by Kim Fay Quick read, a sweet epistolary novel set in the 1960s, focused on food and friendship. I really enjoyed this one, it reminded me of 84 Charing Cross Road. 

Spells for Forgetting by Adrienne Young Ooh, so good. It felt a little like a magical version of Veronica Mars! Mystery, secrets, magic...all in this one. 

August Books
July Books
June Books
May Books
April Books
March Books
February Books
January Books

No comments: